Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

James #649

Custom Custom Custom
Done the base for the silver. Now for the brass.
Trying to work out which looks best for brass.
Got warplock bronze.. then balthasar gold.. and the something copper. With different highlights. I think I'm gna go for the copper. With a couple of heavy washes on it.
Hobby Workshop

pawl #657

Custom Custom Custom
Bronze or copper for me. Can't quite see how the bronze has come out in the photo, could be a touch dark, but the warmer tone of the copper definitely works better than the gold.

James #677

Custom Custom Custom
Yeah I agree!! Started blocking it in.. in the safe areas before I risk painting over the green.
Also I've just used the amazing brush I've just done a product review to do some focused shading. Just to see how it looks. And if it needs edge highlighting or not....
What do you reckon?
Really not sure. Perhaps just edge highlight where the light would touch it..

Also see if you spot what was missing and is now not lol. I was looking at gws example pbc and realised mine was missing two bits!!! Haha thankfully managed to find them
Last edited by pawl on 06 Jun 20, 17:08, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Double post

pawl #681

Custom Custom Custom
Looks good - the copper was definitely the right choice! Once it's been washed/glazed and highlighted it'll look fantastic. The second picture shows a couple of missed spots though 😜

On the top edges I would say that it's worth doing, yeah. Couldn't suggest what to use though, because my knowledge of the paint range isn't as good as it used to be!

Looking back it was glaringly obvious they were missing too! 😂

(oh, and I really need to teach you to use the edit button! 😂)

James #686

Custom Custom Custom
pawl wrote: 06 Jun 20, 17:12 Looks good - the copper was definitely the right choice! Once it's been washed/glazed and highlighted it'll look fantastic. The second picture shows a couple of missed spots though 😜
Haha yeah I need to do more.. I've used a bigger brush to hit the big sections and then I'm going to come back round with a smaller brush to get the riskier bits as I'm terrified of ruining the green.

The airbrushing is a mix between ogryn camo and a bit of death guard green so I'm hoping I can just edge it with the ogryn camo maybe add abit of white if it needs it. Quite excited for when it gets close to finishing.

I know I'm just relieved I was able to find the bits lol 🤣

Yeah I'm abit useless with these forums... I blame using my phone!

pawl #687

Custom Custom Custom
Could you mask off the green at all to help prevent mistakes?

In that case I would perhaps recommend a diluted Ogryn Camo, with maybe a more diluted Ogryn Camo with a touch of white or cream for a smaller second highlight.

Somebody wasn't reading the instructions again 😂

I spend 99% of my time here on my phone - it's built for them 😜

James #696

Custom Custom Custom
That would be a very good idea.. But sounds like hard work!!! Well harder work then trying to e careful. So far so good!! Few bits left to do. Has taken a lot of concentration!
Yeah I think ogryn camo with a touch of screaming skull will be good.

Haha I'm terrible probably why I can't remembe 90% off the horus heresy books too.

Pleased with how it's looking atm!
This is definitely a model that could have done with painting in pre assembly stages.... 😑

pawl #699

Custom Custom Custom
To be fair simply "being careful" is probably a better skill to have 😂

Just keep it thin and you'll be fine 👌

In the past I've been known to re-read the last book before I read the next in a series - not something I'll be doing with HH! 😂

Looking much better now you're blocking it in!
James liked this

James #714

Custom Custom Custom
Most of the initial colours are blocked in now. Getting underneath the spikey bits was a real pain.
And I've just realised the silver needs touching up on the dozer emblem!!
Next stage is scary as I'll be dousing all the copper and silver in agrax earthshade and then the silver again in nuln oil. So I'll have to be super careful. Not to spill onto the green but then also need to be brave enough that this step doesn't take me a week.
But I also need to have a think about what I'm going to do with This part.
I think with bigger vehicles and models I need to spend longer realising what will need to be airbrushed.. so I don't have to come back again...

N.b. I'm leaving the weapons till last since I'm having to use them alot to handle the model unfortunately!!!

pawl #720

Custom Custom Custom
Looking better every time dude!

As ever a spare wet brush and maybe dry brush to soak. Fortunately with washes they dry slowly enough that you should have time to fix any mistakes before they become permanent.

Any idea how you want it to end up looking? I don't have much of a mental picture of how it 'should' look. If nothing else it seems a lot would be metallic, so you could get away with a dirty silver/wash/weather approach. If nothing else it would mean that the model already being assembled wouldn't be too much of a hindrance!
Hobby Workshop