Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

James #816

Custom Custom Custom
Here's some test subjects for the rust weathering. Quite like it. The leg is awful tho. Made it too thick hah. The other effects are done with dry brushing it on and then sealing with airbrush thinner. Which I think is my preferred technique at this point.
Haven't done much today but I have probably finished the skulls on the front.
Debating about glossing the skulls as if they have been polished.. but not sure.
Hobby Workshop

pawl #820

Custom Custom Custom
That leg really is bad, but I did the same thing myself 😂 I also found it a lot easier to brush on and tap, let capillary action work its magic.
Not sure what the difference is in application, but the left looks better than the right I think. I found that it's better to really work it in as you're applying it, so that there's no lumps, and it almost starts to fade itself away towards the edges. Obviously depends on the effect you want, but I found it to be a bit too thick otherwise. And obviously don't forget that until you seal it if you put a tiny bit of thinner onto your brush you can keep working at it until you're happy with it (including removing excess if you blot with paper or soak up with a spare brush)

Skulls are nice too 👌 do you varnish? If so gloss after your matte layer or it's wasted effort.

James #822

Custom Custom Custom
I think the difference between left and right is just using less of the new rust (brightest pigment)
When you say seal it, do you mean varnish it or just thinner?

Ah.. I've not actually varnished anything since last summer and I only started to use gloss stuff to make things look wet after that time! Good for eyeballs. But I'll keep aware of that. I'm probably not going to gloss the skulls.. the are bright enough as is. May take too much away from the rest! But we'll see when it's nearly finished!

pawl #826

Custom Custom Custom
Think it looks thinner too. And yeah, varnish. At the minute with a little thinner (or even water) you could still go back and play with the pigments. Once you've got it right you can seal them permanently so they won't rub away.

I never used to bother, but now that there's pigments involved I think I'll have to. Times first for strength, then matte for appearance.

James #827

Custom Custom Custom
Cool. Good to know. I'll be waiting until the end before any pigments get applied. Probably look for the bits that are the worst painted to cover up hah. Also may look to do some tasteful and sparing blood splatters using blood for the blood god.
Did abit more. Late night painting seems to be the way forward atm! Started the highlight for the copper areas with liberator gold.
And one without the light.

Also done the tubing fleshy bits. Just need to touch up the silver bits.

pawl #829

Custom Custom Custom
It's about the last thing you want to do, yeah. Haven't tried blood effects (yet!) so I couldn't even try and offer advice!

Think the second photo shows how much of a difference it makes! Maybe a spot highlight with silver? Tubes look better, too. Getting close!

James #831

Custom Custom Custom
I've done one using a stipling on a cultist. Worked well. But I think the best effect is when you use a brush to spray it or flick it off. But I may need to cut a piece of paper or something so I can kinda keep the spray limited to one area. Or something.

Oh yeah don't worry silver is next!

pawl #837

Custom Custom Custom
Haven't tried flicking it yet, but then I've always preferred to have control. For things like blood it would make more sense though. Either way so long as you get the result you want it doesn't matter how you do it!

👍👍
James liked this

James #850

Custom Custom Custom
https://streamable.com/2t0kq0
Included a quick clip of it now the silver is done more or less.
Pics don't seem to catch it right!
Main job left is to do the edge highlighting on the green armour.... which I've been avoiding because I am a wee bit nervous about ruining it. Also not sure how much to do.. less is more or go heavy metal style and edge highlight everything... and then also when inspecting gw crawler... they've even highlighted the edge of the recesses.. which is nuts but does look amazing... should I try.... don't know!

pawl #853

Custom Custom Custom
Looking very nice indeed!

As of recently I've come to the decision that I'm not the biggest fan of edge highlighting, especially the ott 'Eavy Metal style (my next scheme test involves two shades and no highlights!) Less is more, I reckon. Very thin (almost glaze consistency) with focus on the darker or flatter areas like the sides, and only top-facing edges. Brushstrokes towards points or vertically.
Perhaps try a dark room and a spotlight to see what it catches?
Hobby Workshop