Welcome to The Warp Storm! πŸ‘‹
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
New to the board? Stop in and let us know you're here!

James #237

Custom Custom Custom
Hello!
I've just been chatting with Pawl over eBay after selling him some dark angels and he showed me the site and I thought I'd get involved.
I used to collect 40k about 20 years ago and I had no money and I couldn't paint at all.. I picked it all back up again last year and I am totally addicted. It started with just painting but I've actually got involved and played a few games of 40k now.
I've got a pretty full death guard army and I'm slowly collecting space wolves. But I'm way behind om my painting and less than half way through my death guard!!!
Here's the latest thing I finished. Bloat drone. And I'm working on some necromunda as it'll be good way to learn the airbrush I've just made the jump to!
James

Hobby Workshop

pawl #238

Custom Custom Custom
Hey man, glad to see you popped by!
As you can see it's rather empty, but we're still in the process of building bits of it. Don't be too surprised if the occasional thing breaks for a little while as we try and hammer it into shape. It's normal. πŸ˜‚

If you didn't have a plastic mountain of shame I'm not sure you could be called a hobbyist!

Bloat drone is looking good though (is that a neon effect green coming from the barrel?) and I'm very jealous about the airbrush! What did you buy? I'm trying to save up when I'm not turning through money on eBay!

Stephen #239

pawl wrote: ↑11 May 20, 09:27 Don't be too surprised if the occasional thing breaks for a little while we we try and hammer it I to shape. It's normal. πŸ˜‚
That's more than likely my fault :grinning:

Welcome!
After chatting with Paul I still require a large amount of gear before I relearn how to paint/build from the ground up, hopefully I'll get the same drive you did once I'm back into the swing of things :smile:

James #251

Custom Custom Custom
Hey guys
@Stephen haha it's never ending list of things you'll need or "decide" you'll need. What do you think your first project is gna be?

@pawl the toxic stuff is nurgles rot. Gw technical paint. Works great for scenery, not sure about it on the models themselves unless sparingly.

Haha it's a good time to make the plunge into airbrushing I think. Definitely got the time to get used to it.
I got an 80quid compressor and naff airbrush from Amazon. Compressor is good but the airbrushes had 0 control over the air and paint release..basically on or off! So I went for h&s ultra. It's nicely built and I think it's only worth airbrushing unless you get atleast a decent entry level one. It was about 65 I think for that.
Definitely been a love hate relationship with it so far. I did the green and skin on the bloat drone and was quite happy with it. But then next session I couldn't get it working and thought I'd broke it. Then since better on those delaque necro gangers and managed to get a good gradient. But then disaster. I did the gradient. Then 3 or so hours later washed 2 of them and then the paint started peeling!!!
Basically turns out you need to leave 24 hours if alot of thin layers. Or u need to use gloss varnish to protect the gradients you got!!
What you working on? Also I sent the dark angels out to you today!

pawl #259

Custom Custom Custom
I had forgotten that GW have their own line - I had assumed something from GreenStuffWorld.

Maybe check out this article for airbrushing? Luther's work is seriously impressive, and as a guide it looks pretty solid.
Compressor I'll not be spending money on, but when I can afford it I'll be buying a H&S Evo AL Plus

James #273

Custom Custom Custom
That's a good article. Just read through it. I have the same compressor haha πŸ˜€
How much is the evo? I've heard alot of people say it's great!

pawl #274

Custom Custom Custom
I have a 2-in-1 (0.2 and 0.4mm nozzles) wishlisted at a shade over Β£200. Not a small investment!

Stephen #276

JamesH wrote: ↑11 May 20, 19:03 @Stephen haha it's never ending list of things you'll need or "decide" you'll need. What do you think your first project is gna be?
Probably getting off my lazy behind, and ordering new paints, brushes, blades, and who only knows what else I'm going to need just to get started.

Need to strip everything I have back from its Salamander-roots for a complete fresh start in Dark Angels. Use those older models as a 'learn-how-to-paint-again-scheme' whilst I flick through some of the new Primaris line and decide what to buy first.

pawl #278

Custom Custom Custom
Let me know exactly what you need mate, I'll do some digging for you.
Most of it you'll be able to get from Wayland - the big problem you'll have in the immediate future is Citadel stock being unavailable until GW are up to speed again.
Let me know though!

Also, stripping guide will be up in the next few days. Just need some more stuff to arrive and some good weather.

James #280

Custom Custom Custom
I've just put an order for a load of airpaint from wayland! It's a great place.
@Stephen is there any primaris you like the look of? I've been eyeing up the eliminators for a while!
@pawl be good to see stripping guide. I've managed to get hold off a load of 30k marines that need it badly haha
Hobby Workshop