Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!
  • No avatar

pawl #2702

Custom Custom Custom
You know the drill mate, always at least two layers or they look too clean 😉
Are you going to be streaking them too, or just washing?

Also I forgot to say before that I actually quite like the flesh/white armour combo. 👌
Hobby Workshop

James #2767

Custom Custom Custom
I agree. The white is defo my favourite now by far. I messed up the green one because i stupidly used the olive green instead of death guard green as the darkest green tone. It makes it too forest greeny rather than a light green i guess. Also im not sure if the undercoat through the chipping is too dark. But hey ho.
Oil streaks in. Not too bad.
Trying to get the streaks right has been really hard. Every piece of armour is curved and set at different angles so i really struggled to get it looking accurate. Probably should have looked for some real life examples. Oh well. Im not too fussed on these guys want them looking decent not expecting my best work here.
pawl liked this
No avatar

Pharia #2771

They look really good ;) favourites are the white and the left green one. Those eyes though ;) good job!

James #2773

Custom Custom Custom
Haha thanks mate. Yes the middle and left are better. The one the right was actually one of the first models i painted when coming back into the hobby in 2019 so thats why he looks abit off, but I've given him the enamel treatment to help him synergise with the new two better!!

pawl #2775

Custom Custom Custom
Stunning mate, absolutely top work! Still can't get over those eyes! 😂

The green is definitely brighter, but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. DG can definitely get away with variety, and I like the colour. =] the lack of chipping on the old boy almost makes him look 'new', too 😂

Is it just me or are the bases smaller than the old one though?

James #2778

Custom Custom Custom
Thanks dude, i wasn't that fussed about them really but the eyes are great. I think the white is my fave. The streaks really working it!

Hah yeah he does look remarkably clean doesn't he. I had to redo some steaks on his track armour bits since he looked bare compared to the other two.

Ha yes good spot. They've just been blue tacked to those 65mm bases for painting. Ive got the 80mm bases now.. i was debating about trying something watery but cba keen to get these done asap and i still really like the track effect i did in the mud for the OG one!
Next is the new products to use. The mud effects 😱
So I'll need to varnish tomorrow. And then i can try it on Wednesday.
Im going to cover the eyes for sure from mud splatter... should i cover theflesh too?

pawl #2780

Custom Custom Custom
Nah man, you should be pleased with these! Looking at them together I like that you can see the improvement too - the old one was never in any way bad, but these are definitely a step up!

It's not a criticism, don't get me wrong! =] although I am hoping you dirty the tracks up a little during basing 😉

If you're running them as a squad it would make sense for the bases to be similar, just don't forget that one needs maggots!
I think that the flesh would probably end up getting splattered, so I wouldn't worry too much about masking it. You can always remove anything that you think is too heavy anyway. =]
Pharia liked this

James #2782

Custom Custom Custom
Im glad ive managed to updatehim to match the new ones altho if i look in detail it's painful. Some bits are really shoddily done hahaha. Thankfully my laziness prevents me from fixing any of it.

Yeah well im planning to make the mud cover the tracks fairly well. If it goes to plan!!

I will mask the eyes balls just incase. It would be gutted if i ruined them!!!
pawl liked this

James #3004

Custom Custom Custom
Ok got off my butt and had a go.

I did the first layer of loose earth mixed with enamel thinner. Loaded a brush and used pressurised airbrush air to fire it off the brush into the model. Left that a few hours. Then used the wet mud effects loaded brush but then flicked it at the model and then brushed it into heavier places.
I specifically removed the mud from the eyes and flesh areas, unrealistic but i dont want to hide the details.
I kinda like it but i dont think I'm wowed by the effect.
Pharia liked this

pawl #3020

Custom Custom Custom
It's an improvement, I think. In particular I quite like how on number 3 there's multiple layers of brown and cream tones that are somehow all varied and distinct.

Have you shared it with the TRFT crowd?
Hobby Workshop