Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!
  • No avatar

James #3248

Custom Custom Custom
Kinda.. i do try and do a highlight and then blend.. but I'm not sure if the friction you have to then use to get the mask off kinda dulls or removes it 🤔 also i used a slightly whitened black on the other guy which was more effective, i couldn't be bothered to have a "mixed" paint for all 10. But tbh i just wana blast these guys out quick as poss. So it'll do.
Hobby Workshop

pawl #3250

Custom Custom Custom
As in a zenithal highlight for the black? If the abrasion is enough to remove the highlight you would think it would remove the black too, but I don't know. Probably doesn't help that it's not easy to get a good photo of a glossy black surface! 😂

James #3252

Custom Custom Custom
Yeah i basically tried to do the dark angels 30k vid zenithal and the glaze over it. But looks like ive over glazed it 🤦‍♂️ who knows. Im not stopping now ha. Wana get these fellas done so i can move onto a more exciting project!

pawl #3261

Custom Custom Custom
You've already chipped, so it's a bit late to have reservations now! 😂

Also just discovered that apparently 🤦‍♂️ doesn't show up in posts, but does if I edit or quote your post! Not sure why, want to know why!

edit: let's try them all! 🤦‍♂️🤦🤦‍♀️ (yay professionalism!)
Pharia liked this
No avatar

Pharia #3270

James wrote: 03 Mar 21, 00:02 Yeah i basically tried to do the dark angels 30k vid zenithal and the glaze over it. But looks like ive over glazed it 🤦‍♂️ who knows. Im not stopping now ha. Wana get these fellas done so i can move onto a more exciting project!
Its a fine knife edge it seems when you glaze over a zenethial highlight, especially with dark colours!!!! Trying to learn the skill myself :D

James #3272

Custom Custom Custom
Yeah i know, practice practice 🤣

James #3325

Custom Custom Custom
Managed to get a bit of time to start blocking in colours. Very early wip at this point so they look totally poop still and will do for a while.
Tackling them as 2 five man squads to make it a little less monotonous!
I'm doing the smooth tentacles in screamer pink. But not sure on colour for the ridged tentacles, any suggestions?
Pushed forward to get one near to completion so i can see what im working towards abit better.
Still will require oils on the black armour but its at a stage where i dont totally hate it now 😂 just a casual dislike. But it'll do for a battle ready unit.
Also going to tone down the purple tentacle so its not so bright.

James #3335

Custom Custom Custom
Progress update.
Still a pile to do but coming together and the hate is flowing out of me and im starting to enjoy them.
Really like this dumb sculpts flame effect too after good old makeup brush drybrush done its magic!
Still some bits I've got no idea what to do with but we'll do the bits i can and figure out the rest later.

James #3345

Custom Custom Custom
These guys are ready for oils and matt varnishing to dull the gloss black armour.
Have tried to push myself quite abit in places on these. Using wet blending and glazing.
Places its worked well are the pinky tentacles and the fade on the red bolter. I found it much harder on the skin areas but ive been able glaze the areas in so they suit abit better.
Also had a crack at Vince Venturellas lava sword tutorial. Not too bad result i think from a distance 😂 considering it was my first attempt and the sword isn't the best.

James #3359

Custom Custom Custom
Rebased as per a suggestion from @DW1986 so they look abit more in line with rest of modern dg models. Definitely a good suggestion as its really helped the poses look less static.
Hobby Workshop