Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

Lovecraft0110 #1259

Custom Custom
Right on!
Hobby Workshop

James #1296

Custom Custom Custom
Finally picked up the airbrush again.. But to disastrous effect.
Spent the first half hour cleaning the sucker as air was leaking through the nozzle without being depressed. (This was since using alclad 2 klear kote).
Then primed my contemptor and his arms with alclad 2 primer black gloss. And again it's gunked the hell out of my airbrush.. 😑 had to spend about 45 minutes clearing it out.
That's a pic when trying to use a cotton pad in airbrush cleaner on it. Absolute nightmare stuff to get off.
I looked at the bottles more clearly....
What in the emperor's name is metal lacquer 😫 why didn't I spot this and why is this sold on wayland and why am I such a noob. Very frustrating evening.
I have managed to prime them but I really thought I'd get alot done tonight and I haven't.
And I'm hoping the models are ok... imagine this is thicker than acrylic....

Lovecraft0110 #1297

Custom Custom
Sorry to hear that, man. I have a possible solutiin, remind me to tell you tomorroe, off to bed!
James, pawl liked this

pawl #1298

Custom Custom Custom
Ouch! Always read the label! 😲
I'm sure that the resin myself will be okay - if it wasn't you would already see it on the surface I imagine?

Lovecraft0110 #1299

Custom Custom
F'ing hell, I just gave you an essay response and it didn't post...:angry: apparently I wasn't logged in.

Will post again later!

James #1300

Custom Custom Custom
Lovecraft0110 wrote: 16 Jul 20, 09:30 F'ing hell, I just gave you an essay response and it didn't post...:angry: apparently I wasn't logged in.

Will post again later!
Haha I've done that once or twice. It's infuriating!

@pawl it didn't look to bad when I left it. Looked it would take hours to dry... may be ok tho.. just depends if acrylics sit ontop of it ok?
My main "beef" with it is how much it hammers the airbrush.

pawl #1301

Custom Custom Custom
If you're not logged in it shouldn't actually give you the option to type a reply, either through the reply page or the quick reply. Cookies not storing as long as I want is something I'm looking into though.

Short of some googling work which I can't do at the minute I haven't the faintest clue, to be honest. Unsurprisingly Enrique is going to be your man!

Lovecraft0110 #1306

Custom Custom
Right, sorry for the delay. So here is what I attempted to post this morning:

1. Do not throw away your Alclad paints - they are actually top notch products.

2. They are, however, lacquer paints, which first of all means they are extremely toxic. Make sure you wear a respirator and use a booth, even when cleaning your airbrush. If you can smell it, it's going into your lungs.

3. Because they are lacquers, products like your regular airbrush cleaner, thinner, and flow improver (e.g. Vallejo) will NOT work properly or at all with them. In fact, 99% IPA (which I use all the time) is not strong enough. What you need instead is AK Interactive Xtreme Cleaner. This will work great both for thinning, and for cleaning. An alternative is Tamiya Lacquer thinner, which I use a lot now, but it's even more expensive.

4. A 0.2 mm needle may not be the best for lacquers; also check that it has PTF seals, otherwise you'll destroy it. For Lacquers, I highly recommend by Badger Patriot 105 (well, I recommend it for anything, but it's totally robust for lacquers).

I hope this helps!

-Enrique

Lovecraft0110 #1307

Custom Custom
Just seen the pic. Do NOT airbrush lacquers in a cardboard box, man. You're risking your health. Use BOTH the respirator and a booth. Seriously. I recommend the Sparmax booth (check out the review here:

James #1308

Custom Custom Custom
Wow ok thanks for your responses guys.

Firstly, its totally not my intention to use anything but acrylics in the airbrush at this stage. So me using metal lacquers is a complete mistake and a time when going rogue isn't the best idea and assuming a certain primer and varnish Would just be "normal" (acrylic), in my defense wayland games doesn't help, labels them as so.
But I probably wouldn't have really done more than a cursory glance anyway and assumed the term lacquer in the title was just an antiquaited term for paint. I think if it had said metal lacquer in the title I may have questioned it.. Maybe 🤣
But lesson learned is research more about products before just going for what's cheapest and making assumptions.

I won't throw it away but don't worry I will not be using it again. I have some vallejo Matt acrylic varnish. And I'm going to get some vallejo gloss black primer so I don't need to use them again.

@Lovecraft0110 I've managed to clean it up okish now.. would IPA help at all? Or do as little as airbrush cleaner? Can't afford to get much else this month. I have ipa and airbrush cleaner currently.

Also do you know if acrylic will go ok ontop of the metal lacquer now it's primed in it. Or is this a start again situation 😂

Thank you!
Hobby Workshop