Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

pawl #1384

Custom Custom Custom
You went freehand? Not sure if you're brave or mad 😜

For the pipes perhaps some colour washes instead? Blue, purple, gold and orange to show heat discolouration, like you see on motorcycles.
ImageImage
(i believe the second example was done intentionally to hide the real discolouring, but you get the idea)
Combined with blackened exhaust tips and general black/brown washes that might help to break it up a little. =]
As for scrolls I'm pretty useless - bone>wash>bone>run away. 😂

Working from home would be a dream, but it's not really how the hospitality sector operates... 😂
Hobby Workshop

Lovecraft0110 #1387

Custom Custom
Looking really good, @James , now all you need is to start collecting and playing 30k...:innocent:

James #1389

Custom Custom Custom
pawl wrote: 22 Jul 20, 00:22 You went freehand? Not sure if you're brave or mad 😜
Haha can't claim that unfortunately!! As you can see.

Nice idea with the pipes and exhaust. I'll see if I can find any nice guides for it. I've done multi meltas similar in the past.

I think the scroll is going to go silver. It'll fit in with the model better... however I may free hand something on there. Any suggestions of something roughly 5 characters long? Death guard/chaos related... I guess "Nurgle"
Lovecraft0110 wrote:Looking really good, @James , now all you need is to start collecting and playing 30k...:innocent:
Heresy 😂😂😂 I've got 3 contemptors. 1 rapier battery. About 10 30k marines. Oh and geigor fell hand. Is that enough? How does it differ from 40k?

@pawl balls man!! Hope it's not going to be too much of a shock to go back!!!

pawl #1392

Custom Custom Custom
Oops, didn't realise they're moulded on! 🙈

If I get chance later I'll have a search around for you, but I think that any guides would basically just say "glaze it".

Does he have a name?

(it's all going to suck, but what can you do?)

James #1396

Custom Custom Custom
Haha I did free hand one on a chainsword when I picked up painting again about 6 years ago. Worked quite well actually.

The ones I've done you basically hit the silver with drucchi violet, sepia and nightshade in rings in a way. Can look quite good.. can get amazing results with airbrush.... But I cba to get it out again now lol probably wouldn't have the right stuff for it.

Nope no names or anything.. I don't usually do it. With the exception of the helbrute I finished at the start of lockdown I named covidius but it may have been inappropriate!

pawl #1401

Custom Custom Custom
I've not actually tried since I was a kid, but I know that I would probably need to tape it 😂

That would work just as well, yeah. With a bit of grease as well it'll break the colour up nicely. 👌

😂 I don't think you're the only one! In that case I would just say name it something simple to paint on!

James #1411

Custom Custom Custom
All the block colours are done on the body and all the arms. The power fists are definitely the meanest looking. I have realised I've kinda ballsed up the assault cannons as the back sections should actually be normal armour colour not silver but oh well.
Need to have a quick look into doing burnished or heated metals colours for tomorrow and then it's ready for it all to be gloss varnished and then time for enamel washes 😯😯
Burnished stuff done. It's not perfect but they are smallish so not as big a deal as it would be on the weapons.
Drybrush of brass scorpion. And then lines of druchhi violet and guilliman blue glaze.

pawl #1416

Custom Custom Custom
He's coming along really nicely buddy!
The assault cannons are an easy enough save, no? I'm assuming you mean the 'ammo drums'? Dark been or grey, and then the lighter green of the shoulder plates - much easier to get to than the white would be!

And the photo doesn't show it that well, but from what I can see it's time out perfectly fine! Actually thought the pipes were a bit bigger though, my mistake!

This is going to look superb when it's done. 😉

James #1419

Custom Custom Custom
Thanks for the praise!!!
pawl wrote: 23 Jul 20, 10:35 The assault cannons are an easy enough save, no? I'm assuming you mean the 'ammo drums'? Dark been or grey, and then the lighter green of the shoulder plates - much easier to get to than the white would be!
They would be for a perfectionist... But I'd need to do the same steps I've done for the rest of the armour... so orange undercoat. Then varnish. Then chipping fluid. Then white. Then brush off to create chips... and then varnish again.... cba... it's just going to be metal!! It'll be fine.. the fists look the best anyway so I'll use them for display purposes...

pawl #1420

Custom Custom Custom
Oops, that was meant to be 'dark green'!

It's due!

I reckon you could get it close enough. Given that it's for ammunition storage you could just claim they were freshly fitted, hence why they're still undamaged 😜
Either way it's done out nicely, so I wouldn't worry yourself over it!
Hobby Workshop