Welcome to The Warp Storm! πŸ‘‹
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
For any other hobby talk that doesn't quite fit in the forums below.

pawl #666

Custom Custom Custom
So I was packing my stuff away earlier, and was thinking back to the storage solutions I've been looking at recently. One of the things I had to consider was paint storage - some products come with holes sized for different paint brands - and I realised that not only do I already have a rather large collection, but I still need plenty more.

Below is the paint that I've bought recently, and doesn't include anything from when I was last active (there's about another shoebox full if my memory serves)

53 pots, plus pigments. I do have two pots of Citadel Wraithbone and two P3 Beaten Purple due to an ordering mistake, but I still need more! Even taking into account the two pots I have on order I still don't have a single shade of red!

For the sake of discussion, feel free to show your collection and/or storage solutions πŸ‘Œ
Hobby Workshop

James #669

Custom Custom Custom
It's alot tidier than mine!!! Are you able to use the airbrush thinner fine on regular paints?
Guess it would work the same as regular paint thinner. I use the vallejo medium too. It's very useful!!!
Here's mine. The little one is all my modding. Basing and building stuff. The messy one is my normal paints. The tidy one is all my air stuff.
No idea how much I've got now. But I generally don't need much now. Most stuff is covered.
Most of regular paints are gw. Some army painter but I don't use them much. Some vallejo stuff. More vallejo air stuff tho and basing and technical paints. Also one lonely secret weapon paint hah. Yet to be used.

pawl #672

Custom Custom Custom
Haven't tried it for thinning paints actually! Picked it up to set the pigments, but I imagine it would do a similar job to the glaze medium. Might have to do a little research and see.

I think a basket like that would drive me mad! I've always had a slightly disorganised table set up (especially when I had a full-time table) but I couldn't cope with that! πŸ˜‚
Considering investing in some of the Hobby Zone stuff for proper storage, as I could keep it stacked when not in use and spread out when it is.

Now do you find the Army Painter stuff? Have some of their Strong Tone and it's really thick!
The drawer is Citadel left, P3 middle, and Vallejo Model/Game Colour and Scalecolor on the right.

James #673

Custom Custom Custom
Oh does it work to set the pigments? I only heard of varnish for that purpose.

Haha I do admit it can take me 5 minutes to find a specific paint sometimes!!!! I'll have to check out Hobby zone and see what they have.

I really don't like the army painter stuff. As you say super thick. Not nice to.use. I got one of the starter sets when I first got back into it bt then barely use any of it. Alien purple is the worst.. comes out like a gloss for some reason. I use daemonic yellow abit and thats about it haha.

What's your favourite to use? I think to be honest gw is hard to beat overall.

pawl #679

Custom Custom Custom
Yeah, or at least thats what this tutorial said! I reckon I just need a little practise!

Is the rest of it the same as the tone? I assume it's so thick because it's meant to be used (at least when it comes in a tin) as a dip.

To be honest I'll use whatever range makes the colour I'm looking for. Citadel paints are expensive, but they're solid quality for the most part (there's always a dodgy colour or two in every line). Definitely need dropper bottles, but when I master that I'll write a guide πŸ˜‚ VGC I find sometimes doesn't seem to have the pigment concentration I would like, but that could just be bad luck with paints - the rest are no different to GW, if maybe a touch thinner. VMC however I've had no issues with yet. The only problem I've had with P3 is the paints not actually being quite the colour I was expecting - Bad Bruise seems more of a mid/dark blue than a dark purple, for example. Scale75's range I don't have much experience with yet. They come still sealed (totally confused me!), and of the 3 I've opened two were perfect, and lovely colours. The third didnt seem to want to mix no matter how much I shook it and stayed 'goopy', but I'll be giving it another chance as it's probably my fault.

James #848

Custom Custom Custom
Only just seen all this doh 🀣

I think I've mainly stuck to gw because the colours are used in so many tutorials on YouTube. And I find trying to use the colour conversions altho is ok... It just doesn't come our right.

The army painter alien purple is a regular paint not a wash or tone but honestly it's wrong in the head 🀣 never seen any other paint do what it does. Maybe it's special and worth a fortune. Citadel contrast paint that glosses itself.

Lol... I have a scale 75 NMM set.... and the white exploded when I tried to open it... is this because its sealed 🀣🀣🀣 I've not got them out again since.

pawl #852

Custom Custom Custom
Entirely understandable, and there's nothing wrong with that! The Citadel line (while comparatively expensive, and in awful pots) is very good. I started buying VGC as an affordable alternative, P3 and VMC for specific colours, and then S75 and AP following a guide.
To be honest I don't think it matters where you get it from, so long as you get the colour/s you want!
For colour conversions I've heard that instar are pretty good for matching OOP colours, but for current ranges you have to rely on various conversion charts.

Oh, sorry! I can't say that I have any experience with their regular paints, only played with their strong tone. Anything on Google?

πŸ˜‚ over filled perhaps? Can't say I had the same issue! I did find they required a lot of shaking though, as they (one in particular) had separated quite a lot. Other than that I found them no worse than any other dropper bottle paints. Lovely colour, too!

James #856

Custom Custom Custom
pawl wrote: ↑19 Jun 20, 14:25 Oh, sorry! I can't say that I have any experience with their regular paints, only played with their strong tone. Anything on Google?
Meh I'm not too bothered. I'll get naggoroth night when I need it 🀣

The scale75 stuff wouldn't come out of dropper bottle... kept squeezing and then.... boom went everywhere!

pawl #859

Custom Custom Custom
Or that! πŸ˜‚

...please tell me you opened the bottle first? πŸ™ˆ to be fair I was confused at first, thought maybe the paint had dried in the tip until I googled it. Quick wiggle with a needle and all was good though.

James #861

Custom Custom Custom
Nope I went for brute force technique. And I've ignored the set since the disaster. So I'm guessing they have seals then 🀣
Hobby Workshop