Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
New boxed sets, useless tools and game-changing paints - come and tell us all about your new toys or where you got them from!

James #674

Custom Custom Custom
So I picked this up a while ago after seeing all the reviews about Windsor and newton. So it's a pure sable Rosemary & co 4/0 series 99 brush. I think it cost around a fiver from eBay.

.... Wow ok.. this is a beautiful brush. It's super precise. More so than smaller brushes I have from army painter.
I've got other brushes from citadel and army painter and I really feel this is miles ahead. The brush is honestly perfect.
It'll be interesting how well it survives my ham handed ness but I've heard they can last years if you look after them.
I don't think I will be buying army painter or citadel again for normal style brushes (not drybrush or shade)
Hobby Workshop

pawl #680

Custom Custom Custom
I've literally just been looking at brush reviews as it happens, as I've been considering an Artis Opus or Rafaël set, and the R&C series 22 & 33 were mentioned.
Do you find it holds paint better than the Citadel/TAP brushes? How about its point? I have a bad habit of accidentally splaying the bristles by cleaning them too aggressively! 🙈

Oh. do you use soap or brush-care products at all?

James #685

Custom Custom Custom
I've literally only tried it on the wash so we'll need to wait until I'm ready to do some edge highlighting. But the brush point looks great. Very sharp and thin but still long enough.

I use masters brush cleaner. Find it's pretty good. Definitely helps keep the brushes in good condition!

pawl #688

Custom Custom Custom
Looking forward to seeing what you think!

Need to start using something to clean mine I think, to get into the habit if nothing else.

James #693

Custom Custom Custom
I'll keep you posted. Most ppl go for the masters brush stuff. Seems worth it!

pawl #694

Custom Custom Custom
Everyone rages about the W&N Series 7, but by all accounts the Rafaël range is cheaper and actually better, and the Artis Opus are cheaper and at least comparable.
Some of the Rosemary & Co reviews are really good though, so hoping you get on with it.
James liked this

James #695

Custom Custom Custom
What are the prices like for each of those different ranges?

pawl #698

Custom Custom Custom
You're looking at 2/3x the price of a comparable Citadel (not Artificer) or TAP brush.

Had another look around at the Rosemary & Co range - most people seem to like the series 22 and 33 brushes, which are around the same price as Citadel. The 99 series is a touch cheaper - it seems they're almost their 'starter' brushes, using Red Sable and not Kolinsky. Still a marked improvement over synthetic though, so hope it works out for you!

James #704

Custom Custom Custom
Sounds good. Well next time I need a brush it may have to be series 22 or 33 😁
pawl liked this

James #713

Custom Custom Custom
Managed to put the red and yellow in here with the r&c brush and it was very easy. Wasn't fighting with the brush at all.
Hobby Workshop