Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
The Space Marines fear no Evil for we are Fear Incarnate!

RZA #4331

Custom
I am still new to the 30k & 40k lore, but I know the Death Company belong to the Blood Angels but who does the others belong to?
Hobby Workshop

pawl #4337

Custom Custom Custom
All the death!

So the Death Company are Blood Angels, as you've said, who have succumbed to the Black Rage on the eve of battle.

The Deathwing are the Dark Angels' First Company, named for one of the original Wings of the Hexagrammaton.
Unlike Codex Compliant Chapters the 1st Co of the Dark Angels exclusively wear Terminator Armour (something few Chapters can do, as it is incredibly rare), though in the current era Primaris Bladeguard Veterans can also be members. Their armour is painted bone white in honour of a battle their brothers fought long ago, on Plain's World.
In truth the Deathwing exist purely to hunt the Fallen, and upon gaining a place amongst them a battle brother learns the first of the secrets the Dark Angels keep safe, of their past and their fall to Chaos, and the continued existence of the Fallen.
The Deathwing formation is also found in most Dark Angels successor Chapters, known collectively as the Unforgiven.

The Deathwatch are a slightly unusual Space Marine Chapter. Rather than operating independently, like most, they serve the Inquisition's Ordo Xenos, for when they need to bring more firepower and combat capability than they could otherwise manage.
The Chapter is made up of veteran Marines from other Chapters, each having been selected for the honour by their commanders. While serving the Deathwatch an Astartes will paint his armour in the black and silver of his new colours, but keep his right shoulder guard in its original colours and carrying his Chapter's insignia. In this way while wearing the colours of the Deathwatch a brother never truly covers his Chapter colours, which would be seen as a shameful act.
To be seconded to the Deathwatch is seen as a huge honour, and a Marine who has served the Long Vigil will often find themselves marked for success when they return to their parent Chapter.

The Death Guard were one of the original Space Marine Legions, drawing their gene-seed from the Primarch Mortarion. During the Horus Heresy Mortarion broke his oaths of fealty to the Emperor and pledged himself to Nurgle, drawing his Chapter into the embrace of the Plague God.
In the modern era the Death Guard are a Traitor Legion who reside hidden within the warp, lead by the Daemon Primarch Mortarion. Unlike most of the Traitor Legions, when Horus' assault on Terra failed they were able to withdraw to the Eye of Terra in an orderly fashion, and so didn't immediately disintegrate into a confused mess of individual warbands. This means that they are still capable of attacking at great strength, to further spread the blessings of their patron Nurgle.

RZA #4356

Custom
Interesting, so the Dark Angels fell to chaos but are they still a loyalist legion or not?

laam999 #4359

Custom Custom Custom
Haha that's actually a bit of a joke within the warhammer community.

Half the legion fell to Choas (the Fallen) half remained loyal (The Unforgiven).

if you see Dark Angels on the table they'll be the loyalists. I have never even heard of anyone collecting the Fallen.

To tell the difference, Dark Angels have 3 colour schemes.

Green Wing - Majority of stuff - Dark green armour.

Death Wing - Terminators mostly - Bone armour.

Raven Wing - Fast stuff, bikes, landspeeders etc - Black armour.

Fallen - All stuff - Black armour.

So as a rule of thumb, if its black armour and isn't going fast it's fallen (except Chaplains).

James #4365

Custom Custom Custom
laam999 wrote: 07 Feb 22, 07:20
if you see Dark Angels on the table they'll be the loyalists. I have never even heard of anyone collecting the Fallen.
I actually have a cypher and 5 da vets to use as fallen. Does that count 😂 I wanted to them soup with chaos army... But I've sold the chaos army now so no idea what I'm doing with them.

pawl #4368

Custom Custom Custom
While every Legion ended up being either Loyalist or Traitor there were a small number of brothers in (almost?) every Legion that chose the other side.
Some were gotten rid of by their Legion (for example the Luna Wolves killed off the elements that wouldn't be willing to renounce their vows to the Emperor during the Isstvan III massacre), others managed to escape and change sides (Warsmith Dantioch of the Iron Warriors, for example).

Most Legions simply dealt with the problem and accepted it as an unfortunate result of the Heresy. The Dark Angels however didn't.

Long story short: Luther was Lion el'Johnson's second-in-command, and had (quite early in the Crusade) been tasked with returning to the homeworld of Caliban to oversee the training of new recruits. Feeling slighted that he had been left out and kept away from the Crusade he eventually fell to Chaos, and built an army loyal to him.
When the Lion returned at the end of the Heresy his ships were fired upon, and he was forced to go to war with his own homeworld.
By the end of the battle Caliban had been utterly destroyed (it is now The Rock - a fortress monastery on an asteroid) and Luther defeated, but the powers of Chaos swept away the Astartes loyal to him and spread them across space and time.
Rather than admit that a portion of their Legion had turned traitor (something many other Legions had to deal with) the Dark Angels kept it secret, and have spent the last 10,000 years hunting down the Fallen - those loyal to Luther.

Like @laam999 said, the Fallen still wear black armour, as the Dark Angels did during the Crusade.

RZA #4383

Custom
Very interesting. Thank you all for helping to clarify something that has had me stumped for a long time. I have yet to face a single Chaos army since I started playing 40k.
pawl liked this
Hobby Workshop