Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

James #305

Custom Custom Custom
Here is the necro gang I been working on and first real test of my new airbrush
Primed black and zenithal highlight which I'm not really that convinced about yet.. but maybe it's only worth doing if the next layers are going to be super thin

Then burnt umber base and initial layers of red with tiny bit of orange in last layer

Then I almost ruined too by applying mix of agrax and carroburg washes too quickly

Then fixed the two and then used gloss varnish waited before applying the wash to all

Then redid the layers more gently today!!

Really happy with how they have turned out so far as I'm hoping to enter these into a squad painting comp at a local gaming store in Leeds called leodis games. But also annoyed as I've left gaps in the minis but oh well.
Airbrush work done on these I think now back to the regular ol brush
Hobby Workshop

pawl #307

Custom Custom Custom
The gradient is nice and smooth, and the colouring very nice, but I wonder if it's not a little bit low? Assuming the cloth is continuous up to the neck, there's little to no gradient until about the bottom third of the model.
Looking forward to seeing where you take these though - is the rest of the scheme planned already or are you making it up as you go?

And I know it's not technically zenithal highlighting, but you might find this interesting - click! =]

James #310

Custom Custom Custom
Making it up as I go. Not many guides on these guys apart from the very boring look for them.
It is abit low but I still wanted them to look quite dark as they are supposed to be a gang of spies.

That's a really nice simple article there. Will try that on the contemptors I think!

pawl #312

Custom Custom Custom
Just had a look, and impcat doesn't have a template for Delaques yet. You could try and make one but it looks like a bit of a faff.

This is kinda like the opposite of yours, but I can't find much else either.

James #318

Custom Custom Custom
Like that one mate! I think I'm gna add abit more red to it. Going to try hit the shoulders more red so we have the shadows in the middle! Will try do this tonight.. although the Mrs has requisitioned me into building some furniture....

James #352

Custom Custom Custom
Managed to hit up the shoulders just now with. My chromed pal
Will try hit it with a varnish later this evening so it's ready for the brown red mix wash tomorrow and then airbrush again with the red to match with the bottom of the cloak
pawl liked this

pawl #355

Custom Custom Custom
I'm jealous that you can work during the day!

How do you find the airbrush is for control? Really want to have a play with one, just to see how much of a mess I would end up making, but also to see how much of my painting could actually be done with it.

James #356

Custom Custom Custom
One benefit of being furloughed 🤣

It's ok. I'm not very precise really... just more going for strength in layers. I think it's hard cos you can't really tell how much is coming out if that makes sense. Like with a brush you can tell if you've overloaded it... but with this you don't know until the model is sipping wet... but on the other hand it's been fairly forgiving if you use thin layers..

pawl #360

Custom Custom Custom
I am too (possibly for quite a while, restaurant industry!), but with a small person running around it's not worth trying, doesn't work out 😂

What nozzle size are you using? The videos I've seen tend to show them either using the back of a glove or the surface they're working on for testing the coat, and they've all worked in very quick passes. That said I have no idea about how you'd want to thin/pressure settings and I've never even held one, so...

James #364

Custom Custom Custom
Same possibly even longer for me. Both me and fiancee work for Jet2 head office 😢
Haha yeah it must be tough. A mate who collects has just had a little one and has only managed one paint session since which I think is impressive considering!

The h&s is 0.2mm. The unbranded one is 3.5 so good for under coating bigger stuff. But I've possibly screwed that one up haha. Can't figure out where a part of it goes haha. Can't find instructions. Thankfully it's not the h&s one.

I will tend to spray onto my gloved hand first.. it will give you an idea of how your doing and also sometimes you'll get some spots when you initially fire paint out of it so u wana start firing out paint and then move onto the model if that makes sense. It doesn't happen often.... but it's safer.. if it happens when you do a delicate bit and you go straight onto the model and bam get a big glob of paint you'll be gutted.

So far I've found it's abit all very subjective... I've been mainly using next level painting vids but he's very chuck this in and Chuck that in and it's more art then science. I guess it's abit like thinning your paints... you'll work out what works for you. There's no magic formula for all paints. As I've found tonight. Undercoated one of the dg vehicles and consistency of olive green vallejo air paint was alot different to vallejo red I've been using. Kept clogging the airbrushes!

In terms of psi... around 30 for under coating and when I'm doing the red I've been hovering around 20 to 25. From what I'm understanding is the lower your psi the thinner the paint will need to be... I think. It's very much trial and error so far.
Hobby Workshop