Welcome to The Warp Storm! ๐Ÿ‘‹
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
For any other hobby talk that doesn't quite fit in the forums below.
  • No avatar
  • No avatar
No avatar

Pharia #3007

Hello. Been thinking about starting to make my own terrain pieces. We got lots of ruined buildings and stuff... but what were missing are mostly hills and the like. Im working at a hardware store. Mostly timber materials and insulation stuff. Been looking at some videos on using Styrofoam to make different kinds of hills. But as I'm thinking more and more on the issue I'm wondering what to use for different things.

1: can I use essve akrylfog flex 10% as a sealer?
Its basically a akryl glue of sorts but for construction purposes;)

2: a cheaper paint source as I will use a bunch :S like artist acrylic for instance...

3: grass and gravel substitute for gw brands. Aswell i will use a bunch :s

Anyone here have any experience on this subject.
Hobby Workshop

James #3009

Custom Custom Custom
Hey mate
Not done any lately.
I did do some back in the day.
Which would be layers of cardboard and then covered with polyfiller.
Imagine styrofoam might be a nicer way of doing it though.
Id have a look at lukes aps channel and site.
https://www.geekgaming.co.uk/
Hes really good with terrain and stuff! And also a pretty funny guy.

One thing id say, if your going to flock it all. Probably just get a rattlecan spray to undercoat it ๐Ÿ˜€ be alot easier hah
Pharia liked this
No avatar

Pharia #3010

Any idea if the acrylic "sealer" would work ?

James #3011

Custom Custom Custom
Hmm no idea ๐Ÿค” i guess varnish wouldn't be enough?
No avatar

Pharia #3017

Well it would ofc. Was looking for something that lasted longer. A small bottle of varnish over a big area.... I would use up a bottle after a few pieces :p Allso a varnish.... wouldn't you loose the texture feeling of it all? Dunno...

pawl #3018

Custom Custom Custom

This might help?
Just a quick reply, but you should be able to use any kind of cheap craft paint, and watered down PVA in a spray bottle is good for sealing stuff. ๐Ÿ‘Œ
Pharia liked this
No avatar

ldubya344 #3280

I have a scratchbuild peice of terrain, took me about a month to build, many many high evenings on fumes, and about 9.5 3g superglue tubes.
still not painted yet, as i still cant tollerate the sight of it (i built it almost a year ago now)

Aplty names by @DW1986 "Castle Spruestien"

Pharia, DW1986 liked this

James #3286

Custom Custom Custom
Hahaha ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ great name!
Could just get a black or grey rattlecan and dry brush it? Nowt special but working!
ldubya344, Pharia liked this
No avatar

ldubya344 #3290

@James

I could, but i want to style it in the way of my battlesisters terrain i have painted in a different scheme, i think it will be a wraithbone, seraphim sepia wash and wraithbone drybrush when i get round to it :grin:
Pharia liked this

pawl #3291

Custom Custom Custom
Top work @ldubya344 ๐Ÿ˜ after watching the Miniature Hobbyist on YT I've decided to start collecting my old sprues too!
ldubya344 liked this
Hobby Workshop