Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
For any other hobby talk that doesn't quite fit in the forums below.
  • No avatar

James #2657

Custom Custom Custom
Thought id start a topic to discuss airbrush techniques since @Pharia was curious about raven guard techniques.
Im not very experienced with airbrushing blacks infact apart from priming i dont know if ive done any. I am looking at doing some 30k style dark angels one day for a small fallen squad and Cypher and i stumbled across this video that may be of use.

This is quite a nice way of doing it. Basically black undercoat and then white grey highlights. Then applying a dark glaze over the top to blend it!
There are other ways of doing things tho. I've recently tried applying gw shades through the airbrush as a post shade to try and darken shadow areas which is quite a nice easy way to do things.
@pawl seen any good vids youve seen?
There is also my man... MAD DOG KENNY BOUCHER! Who Pawl cant stand but i now love 😂😂
He gets great results but his techniques are achievable. Not sure if hes done raven guard but im sure there will be something similar.
https://youtube.com/c/NextLevelPainting
Pharia, pawl liked this
Hobby Workshop
No avatar

Pharia #2675

Ill check out the video after work this evening. It just annoys me when I have the tool and im not useing it to its potential :p

James #2676

Custom Custom Custom
I think its hard. Alot of people will post results and around and be like oh look how easy airbrushing is blah blah. But its a difficult thing to learn as is painting in general so i think key thing is to be patient and don't expect to be airbrushing like a pro overnight 👌🏻
I for one had many bad airbrush sessions last summer 🤣 still do sometimes.
Pharia liked this
No avatar

Pharia #2680

https://www.petehappens.com/2016/05/air ... s.html?m=1

Found this when looking for raven guard markings.... its much more contrast from the different gradients on the colors. But a good step by step guide on power weps.

To master it. Yes definitely a skill with a very high skill level, but have to start somewhere though :p

James #2682

Custom Custom Custom
Thats pretty cool i like it.
I use airbrush putty for masking pretty damn useful. However for this a piece of kitchen roll. Put a little hole in and slide just the sword through. Bingo youve masked verything!
Pharia liked this

Axineton #2687

I use my airbrush every now and again and love it. I have a badger Sotar 20/20 got it for about £40 last year. With postage to the UK it went up to about £60. I follow badger airbrushes on Facebook and they do a birthday sale every January.
The age of the badger boss is the price of everything on the badger site for about a week so I picked the best airbrush and got it way cheaper.

They didn’t run the sale this year due to COVID but I’m hoping next year they’re back on it.
Pharia liked this

pawl #2704

Custom Custom Custom
Axineton wrote: 06 Feb 21, 09:11 They didn’t run the sale this year due to COVID but I’m hoping next year they’re back on it.
I was worried for a minute that I had missed out, still saving (and trying to find space) for a Patriot 105!

I've not actually seen any black vids that I particularly like, but if I happen across one I'll let you know. I'm always on the lookout for my eventual HoR 1st Company! =]

On the subject of power weapons however I did come across this a while ago.

The video isn't the greatest quality but I like the general concept, and I wouldn't mind adjusting it a bit.
I think if you were to start with a white or bright silver, glaze your power colour over it, and then apply your final silver through the wire wool you could end up with a 'regular' blade that has 'power lightning' (technical term!) running through it.
Pharia liked this
No avatar

Pharia #2739

Really cool;) hmm will the army as a whole look wierd if I sat a character down or a squad down painted useing airbrushing techniques zenithial highlighted when the rest of them are painted mostly by brush strokes ? I know there would be a big difference in the way they're armor looks but will it just look stupid or wierd even.... in my head useing an airbrush to highlight the armor overall will be more natural and real than just highlighting with a brush. It is doable, just harder to get it right. Hmm im thinking on doing the rest of my astra militarum mostly with an airbrush as painting 50 guardsman or 100 even is just meh :p

James #2740

Custom Custom Custom
I think it depends on your aesthetic for your army? Is it going to annoy you if they arent all identical paint styles? Are you going to use them in tournaments where they need to be painted the same and based the same? (Not sure on how strict they are).
For me its bit easier as death guard can thematically look different and it be fine, but the advantage has been I can try all sorts of different techniques and grow as a painter. I guess if you try and stick to more or less exactly the same method for the army you'll be less likely to improve massively 🤔 perhaps a test model would be a good way to see how different it would be
Pharia liked this
No avatar

Pharia #2741

Well they are painted differently since chaplain and normal marines are way different ;p .... but for a lighting standpoint I dunno :p I think i need to try as you say taking a test model :p got the lieutenant and captain and standard bearer left as character models left in the box :p

My experience playing games (love it btw) is just with a friend of mine. Only two playing warhammer in a 6 hour drive radius... Or as far as we know about that is.:p
Hobby Workshop