Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

James #2338

Custom Custom Custom
Hope you dont mind me posting this here pawl as its not 40k... it could be a sci-fi bull sorcerer tho???
Mate of mine has sorta commissioned me to paint a mini for him. He does alot of fantasy rpgs etc so all the models he likes are like that. And he chose this one.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ogrid-Thaumaturge
Thankfully id already seen a tutorial i really liked and would challenge me as a painter by a small youtuber but whos stuff is really great.

Taking this very slow cos im quite nervous about it but ive done rhinox base, catachan flesh highlight followrd by gorthor brown.
Then steel drab legion, zandri dust and a touch of ushabti bone on the chest
Kinda screwed up on the chest but recovered it thankfully!!
Will do some more video watching before the next step.
Hobby Workshop

pawl #2342

Custom Custom Custom
All hobbying is welcome mate, you know that! =]

Like I said on discord, I think that he's coming along really nicely - pushing yourself is paying off! It's a little difficult to see the definition in that lighting though, not sure what's paint and what's actual light 😂

James #2344

Custom Custom Custom
Haha yes i think maybe i could do with another highlight layer. I think my catachan flesh layer didnt leave enough rhinox hide showing through so less contrast. Ill try get a better pic!!!
Ive also sent voodjan a link to this 🤩

James #2349

Custom Custom Custom
Did a bit more on Thursday eve.
It was abit disastrous. The blue spattered everywhere... so i had to redo some of the browns. I think i need to touch up the gorthor brown highlight in a few places now.
That basically puts me at the end of tutorial part 1. Just try to touch up a few bits. Bit of spatter still on the chest area i think.
But ok so far.

pawl #2351

Custom Custom Custom
A little bit of mottling won't do him any harm mate - once the other colours are down you'll barely even notice it. Down his back you could even extend the blue a touch further down and it'll make it nearly disappear. Don't forget that if you try and cover all of it with browns you'll need to re-blend over several layers as it'll still show through a little - it's barely noticeable, don't sweat it. 😉

James #2353

Custom Custom Custom
Hah thanks dude. Yes ill try extend the blue a little next airbrush session down the back. Ill also try ans brighten the brown highlight abit as its abit too dark i think... not that itll matter too much as when the tattoo bits get filled in it takes away from a lot of that stuff anyway! Excited for part two anyway.

pawl #2359

Custom Custom Custom
Just figure it might be an easy way to cover a little of it if you're not entirely happy. Maybe brown first to tone the blue down, then blue to blend it back in?
Little by little mate. Like you said, when you start working on the tattoo it'll completely change how the rest looks anyway. =D

James #2405

Custom Custom Custom
Picked up the new airbrush and got stuck in!
Corrected the chest and fixed a few bits around the neck and shoulders.
Did the mane by hand and then airbrushed highlight.
Then via brush.
Finished hooves, started horns and gold details. Finished mane. Did a slightly darker recess lining. Done teeth and eyes altho really struggled with the black for eyes so may try again.
Some base coats are back on for the staff. Which is going to be a real pain!!
pawl liked this

James #2423

Custom Custom Custom
So Sunday i planned to crack on...
But had a melt down!! Ive lost the belty thing. Somehow 😑 so i spent about 2 hours digging around for it with no success. And then sat being miserable instead of airbrushing.
I have called upon the council of nerds and will be acquiring a new piece tomorrow all being well.
But tonight ive continued well. Done the burnt effect on the horns. Then done a slight highlight and then washed again to tone down.
Have done the skirt fade and manual highlight and touch up.
Have airbrush highlighted the skull on the staff head. And touched some details with agrax.
Gold areas washed and highlighted in places.
Begun the base in earnest. Councilled by Stephen andPawl to just go for rocks so it will be so!

Getting close. Very much enjoying this guy! I think I'm going to order some microballoons for snow.. cos it looks awesome and it'll annoy the wife to be.
Things to do
Base. Needs another wash. Drybrush..highlight drybrush. Then apply crackle paint (excited for this).
Mini. Tattoo marks need to be painted blue and then highlighted electric blue. Will be quite a job. The butt plate and front butt plate will need to be painted. Staff woody bit needs doing but should be a quick job. Staff blue flames need doing with airbrush.
So.. end is within sight...

pawl #2425

Custom Custom Custom
Superb progress mate, blends are really nice!

Are you going to take the tips of the skull lighter at all, or just wash it?

Looking forward to seeing how the base comes out - do you have any examples of the snow stuff in use? Can't say that I've heard it it before.
Hobby Workshop