Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

Badger_of_doom #1973

This is the judiciar I am working on from the indomitus set open to recommendations to improve. Still a novice tho so be kind🙂
Hobby Workshop

James #1974

Custom Custom Custom
Hello mate! Welcome in.
Looking really good so far. Not looking forward to this guy killing all my death guard 🤣
What paints have you used on it?

pawl #1980

Custom Custom Custom
Hey hey, welcome!

Looks like Ultramarines Third Company, at a guess?
It's a solid enough start, but I'm interested to know how you plan to work with the black.
Most seem to prefer using very dark grey, so that there's still room left to shade.
Do you/are you following a guide or tutorial at all, or just playing it by ear?

Badger_of_doom #1986

Just followed the gw vid on you tube to get it battle ready but thinking of doing a bit of colour on the Cape and sword handle thinking something like a khorn red with a agrax earthshade wash maybe to add a bit of a highlight. I am about stuck with the brown I used for the cloak as I mixed it from mournfang brown and abbadon black so will never be able to get the same shade again.

James #1987

Custom Custom Custom
Could you shade with nuln oil and then do a very thin highlight with mournfang?

pawl #1992

Custom Custom Custom
Badger_of_doom wrote: 06 Sep 20, 17:25 Just followed the gw vid on you tube to get it battle ready but thinking of doing a bit of colour on the Cape and sword handle thinking something like a khorn red with a agrax earthshade wash maybe to add a bit of a highlight. I am about stuck with the brown I used for the cloak as I mixed it from mournfang brown and abbadon black so will never be able to get the same shade again.
Have they released a video for the next tier? I forget what they call it, but I know they have follow-up steps for a lot of their schemes.
Out of interest what colour is the armour? If it's actually black then you might find it difficult to shade, so you would have to rely on highlights to give it any depth.

For the robes there's plenty of brown shades in the VMC range - if you'd like I'll have a quick look tomorrow and see which might work for you? Don't forget that the top half is there too - it looks in the photos like you might have left the upper half black.
I've seen plenty of people that have used the visible bits of the inside to add contrasting colours (mostly white or cream, admittedly). I'll find you an example tomorrow when I can be bothered to look!

Edit;

Just had a quick look, and I've found VGC 045 Charred Brown, VMC 945 Flat Brown and VMC 856 Ochre Brown (more of a highlight colour)
I've not looked in the Citadel range simply because I'm sure you know where to find them, but may not have looked at the Vallejo ranges. There are a massive number of other shades in there, these were just the first ones I found.
The Charred Brown I have to hand, so could show you an example of, the other two I'm waiting on in an order.

As for cream colours (as mentioned above) Citadel already have Zandri Dust, Ushabti Bone, Screaming Skull, Rakarth Flesh & Pallid Wych Flesh, but there's also VMC 918 Ivory as an option.

As for adding in colour, have a look at an official photo of the model here.

The red sword grip, the warmer tone of the gloves, and the red inside of the robes all catch the eye. There's also the armour's ribcage, which it doesn't look like you've picked out yet, and the various studs and bolts too. =]

Badger_of_doom #1997

Like the look of the gw pic. I have a few ideas based on that and just to mix it up a bit. I will be getting the paints out again Wednesday aft i think so standby for an update 🙂
James, pawl liked this

pawl #2046

Custom Custom Custom
How are you getting on @Badger_of_doom, any joy? =]

Badger_of_doom #2075

Struggling for time at the minute just got new job so turning my summer house into home office/ Warhammer workshop in-between getting obliterated by James at 40k
pawl liked this
Hobby Workshop