Welcome to The Warp Storm! πŸ‘‹
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
If you've written or recorded something to help your fellow hobbyists share it with us here.

Lovecraft0110 #1311

Custom Custom
Hi guys,

Here is my new weathering tutorial, hot off the press!

Hobby Workshop

James #1313

Custom Custom Custom
Great video! Really love the paint job on this 😊
Also thank you for include the hazard warning/shaming for me 😁
I found this video really good to see how your doing the pin wash with the enamels so it's a little clearer to me how I'll be approaching my next victims.

pawl #1317

Custom Custom Custom
I'll be watching this again later I think, definitely worth at least a second viewing. And then more when I break out my LR!
Nice to see a more complete video showing what you're doing. I actually wouldn't even mind one that's not been sped up if you could find something to say for that long πŸ˜‚

How long does the liquid mask work for? Will it eventually 'dry out' and stop working? How about when you manually brush over it instead of airbrushing? (yes, I'm trying for lazy battle damage on infantry here!)

You're also doing a solid job of repeatedly convincing me that I need to try out enamel washing for marine armour. I don't know if I would end up reverting back to acrylics but I feel like it's definitely something I need to play with.

I'll likely have another reply once I've watched it again 😜

Oh, and the little nod to @James was nice - always assume we're stupid! πŸ˜‚

Lovecraft0110 #1325

Custom Custom
James wrote: ↑17 Jul 20, 18:06 Great video! Really love the paint job on this 😊
Also thank you for include the hazard warning/shaming for me 😁
I found this video really good to see how your doing the pin wash with the enamels so it's a little clearer to me how I'll be approaching my next victims.
Thank you, James! But I didn't intend to shame you at all! I hope you weren't offended, sir!

I feel like I am slowly getting the hang of it in terms of the scripts, narration and all that.

Lovecraft0110 #1326

Custom Custom
pawl wrote: ↑17 Jul 20, 23:35 I'll be watching this again later I think, definitely worth at least a second viewing. And then more when I break out my LR!
Nice to see a more complete video showing what you're doing. I actually wouldn't even mind one that's not been sped up if you could find something to say for that long πŸ˜‚

How long does the liquid mask work for? Will it eventually 'dry out' and stop working? How about when you manually brush over it instead of airbrushing? (yes, I'm trying for lazy battle damage on infantry here!)

You're also doing a solid job of repeatedly convincing me that I need to try out enamel washing for marine armour. I don't know if I would end up reverting back to acrylics but I feel like it's definitely something I need to play with.

I'll likely have another reply once I've watched it again 😜

Oh, and the little nod to @James was nice - always assume we're stupid! πŸ˜‚
Hey, thank you Pawl!

I'm not sure I understand your questions about the liquid mask. Do you mean how long before it dries inside the bottle, or how long until it dries on the surface of the model? And what do you mean with "apply by hand"? The paint over it, do you mean? That wouldn't work very well, because you're likely to remove it in the process.

Regarding my videos: the one thing that drives me crazy is that I never know how long to make them, or how long a silence the audience will tolerate. For example, for this one I had 1h 30 of footage - that is how long the process took from start to finish after assembling the tank. I sped it up to 800% in most places, which is a bit crazy (I think some parts might be too fast for people to actually see what's going on). However, I already had 2200 words in my script (like a freaking esssay!), so I am not sure there is much more I could actually say without resorting to filler (which I really don't want to do). What do you think? So far I've avoided leaving silences longer than 20s.

Many thanks for all the feedback,

Enrique

James #1329

Custom Custom Custom
Lovecraft0110 wrote: ↑18 Jul 20, 07:36 Thank you, James! But I didn't intend to shame you at all! I hope you weren't offended, sir!
Haha not at all πŸ˜‚

I think your getting the balance pretty perfect now. I'm quite an impatient viewer and will usually skip steps etc but I was really quite happy and content watching the whole thing. πŸ‘πŸ‘ good music too πŸ˜€

pawl #1334

Custom Custom Custom
Shame him, he probably deserves it! 😜

Sorry, I wasn't very clear - I meant on the model. Once it's applied does it have a 'working time' as such, or can you use it until it's sealed?
And yeah, over the mask. Undercoat > colour > mask > colour (by brush)
I assume it doesn't dry very solid if brushing paint over it would take it away?

I would say don't worry about the time. Edit it until you're happy with what you've shown and seen, and whatever length it is will be right πŸ˜‰
In particular (re: 800%) I would like to see a little more of the work after you've applied the pin wash - the blending process looks simple enough, and I'm sure that a little trial-and-error is probably enough to get the hang of it, but a little bit of focus on it at some time in the future would be nice. Maybe a 'how and why' you blend in the way you do, what you can/can't use it for etc. (I know you said you were kind of covering this already)

I noticed as well that you said that when the enamels/oils have fully cured you can't blend them any more - why is that? I assume that when you're blending they're still (even after 24 hours) slightly wet? I had thought that they could be worked with at any point until they were sealed.

Looking forward to part 2 =]

Lovecraft0110 #1337

Custom Custom
James wrote: ↑18 Jul 20, 08:59
Lovecraft0110 wrote: ↑18 Jul 20, 07:36 Thank you, James! But I didn't intend to shame you at all! I hope you weren't offended, sir!
Haha not at all πŸ˜‚

I think your getting the balance pretty perfect now. I'm quite an impatient viewer and will usually skip steps etc but I was really quite happy and content watching the whole thing. πŸ‘πŸ‘ good music too πŸ˜€
Good to hear, James! Have you joined my Discord yet, by the way? https://discord.com/invite/Dc6j8vs

Lovecraft0110 #1338

Custom Custom
pawl wrote: ↑18 Jul 20, 11:27 Shame him, he probably deserves it! 😜

Sorry, I wasn't very clear - I meant on the model. Once it's applied does it have a 'working time' as such, or can you use it until it's sealed?
And yeah, over the mask. Undercoat > colour > mask > colour (by brush)
I assume it doesn't dry very solid if brushing paint over it would take it away?

I would say don't worry about the time. Edit it until you're happy with what you've shown and seen, and whatever length it is will be right πŸ˜‰
In particular (re: 800%) I would like to see a little more of the work after you've applied the pin wash - the blending process looks simple enough, and I'm sure that a little trial-and-error is probably enough to get the hang of it, but a little bit of focus on it at some time in the future would be nice. Maybe a 'how and why' you blend in the way you do, what you can/can't use it for etc. (I know you said you were kind of covering this already)

I noticed as well that you said that when the enamels/oils have fully cured you can't blend them any more - why is that? I assume that when you're blending they're still (even after 24 hours) slightly wet? I had thought that they could be worked with at any point until they were sealed.

Looking forward to part 2 =]
As detailed as ever, @pawl! let me see:

1. I am not sure for how long you can leave it there, but if you pile layer after layer on top, it may not be removable after a while. This happened to me in a couple of spots on my Warhound - luckily out of sight.

2. Applying the basecoat by brush over the masking is not a good idea, because you're likely to peel some of it unless you're extremely gentle. I would get an airbrush instead...:grin:

3. Once again, thank you for your feedback. It's really valuable for me.

4. I could easily do another short video focusing specifically on blending - I have the Warhound panel now ready for re-painting after all...:smile: . Will you remind me, though? I have a lot of simultaneous projects right now and I might forget.

5. Yes, after enamels have fully cured, you won't be able to do much with them. In average humidity and heat conditions, probably around 48h-72h. I have empirically tested this on my Warhound...but thankfully it just meant the legs ended up being a little bit darker than originally intended; nothing really major.

pawl #1339

Custom Custom Custom
I try! Don't take anything I say we gospel though - I just this whatever comes to mind, so I'll probably end up contradicting myself πŸ˜‚

1. Fair enough. I actually cancelled my Vallejo fluid after you said it was useless, so I'll be taking your recommendation instead. It seems that a reasonable degree of speed is necessary though!

2. The airbrush is definitely something I want to invest in, but currently I just don't have the money spare. I'm hoping that getting back to work will help with that, but obviously I don't know how that will play out in the short term. Definitely by the end of the year! πŸ˜‚ From what I've seen elsewhere in a basing tutorial sponging over the top doesn't seem to displace it too much, for what it's worth.

3. No worries man! Like I said above, it's just what I happened to write after I watched, but don't assume that I know what I'm talking about! πŸ˜‚

4. I've seen it done on a few videos (yours included) but I've not yet seen one that actually explained the process much beyond "use a brush" πŸ˜‚ I did also recently see a tutorial that used a thick enamel layer and a quick wipe with a sponge to one-step shade cloth and robes, which is something I want to look into.
I can certainly try! I'll send you a PM later - don't open it/click the notification, and the (1) might be enough to remind you πŸ˜‰

On a completely separate note, how do you take your videos? The actual setup I mean. It's something I wouldn't mind trying in the long run, but everyone who talks about it seems to have a different opinion on how to do it.
Hobby Workshop