Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

Lovecraft0110 #1182

Custom Custom
Hey guys,

Forgot to post this:

James liked this
Hobby Workshop

pawl #1184

Custom Custom Custom
You need the direct image links @Lovecraft0110 - anything ending in .png/.jpg etc, or the image tags can't pick it up.
I would edit them in for you, but I can't get the links from Flickr on my phone.

Edit; nevermind, I managed to get the image URLs from your B&C post. 👌

I've always wondered how the weapons on these vehicles told away so they're not damaged 😂
It's looking really nice though! I assume the next step is chipping back to the rusted layer? It looks like the damage so far is painted on. I'm also interested to know how much dirtier it's going to get!

Lovecraft0110 #1191

Custom Custom
Hey Pawl,

Many thanks for the links. I did actually edit the post to include the img BBCode, but when I hit submit it spent like 7 minutes updating and I just ended up going to bed.

You have a keen eye for detail! As it happens, I had two massive, consecutive f'ups on Tuesday that almost had me throw my airbrush out of the window. These meant all my undercoat work was rendered null and avoid. Moral of the story for me: never experiment with new techniques or products (which I do with every project) when you are painting for someone else! It was super stressful, believe it or not.

James #1194

Custom Custom Custom
Looking great. The chevrons look very cool too. Is that a stencil?
Also are you doing commission work here? Good work!

Lovecraft0110 #1195

Custom Custom
Thanks, James, yes it is a stencil (Fallout Hobbies highly recommended).

I am painting this for Youtube luminary Leakycheese, as a token of my gratitude for helping me with my channel. Never done this sort of thing before...it was exciting while it was going well, but when I had problems the fact it wasn't for me made me super stressed. You know what I mean? I am a bit ocd, so knowing I was going to send him something flawed was hard to stomach.

James #1198

Custom Custom Custom
Lovecraft0110 wrote: 09 Jul 20, 13:17 Thanks, James, yes it is a stencil (Fallout Hobbies highly recommended).
Really cool stuff. The green skin decals are hilarious. I won't post a pic as not safe for pg13 I think despite the spelling mistakes!!

I do have a stencil from wayland. Just Roman numerals as I like the idea of trying to do the death guard legion markings... any advices for it? I feel like it's going to be one of those things that you assume will be easy but actually not.

I can imagine what your feeling!! Thankfully I've not painted anything except for myself which is a huge amount less pressure!! I'm sure your going to nail it though 😃
I don't think I could do anything for anyone.. I paint so slow it would be hardly worth the time 🤣

Lovecraft0110 #1199

Custom Custom
Thanks, man, I really appreciate the moral support here. As for the stencils, the main factors are, to my mind:

1. Make sure the stencil is properly attached and flat. In my case the surface wasn't level, so I knew it would be tricky.

2. Use low pressure, like 15-18 psi, no more.

3. Make sure the paint is not runny, do not thin it too much.

James #1200

Custom Custom Custom
Thanks dude. Is it possible to put a layer of chipping beneath it and then airbrush ontop and not damage elsewhere? Or would there be better ways to weather It?

pawl #1206

Custom Custom Custom
Lovecraft0110 wrote: Many thanks for the links. I did actually edit the post to include the img BBCode, but when I hit submit it spent like 7 minutes updating and I just ended up going to bed.
Well that's certainly odd! If for some reason something doesn't seem to submit properly and just pressing the button again doesn't work the easiest thing to do is probably select&copy the whole post, navigate back and hit Edit again, then paste and send (refreshing the edit page might cause an error but I can't remember off the top of my head)
It certainly shouldn't happen, but I'm fairly confident it's a one-time issue.

Lovecraft0110 wrote: You have a keen eye for detail! As it happens, I had two massive, consecutive f'ups on Tuesday that almost had me throw my airbrush out of the window. These meant all my undercoat work was rendered null and avoid. Moral of the story for me: never experiment with new techniques or products (which I do with every project) when you are painting for someone else! It was super stressful, believe it or not.
Ouch! What happened? If it's any consolation it's still looking pretty even without the rust 😁

Lovecraft0110 #1211

Custom Custom
Long story, but here it is:

1) masking and applying the stencils + laying down the white took me so long that the (beautiful) lacquer red paint fully cured, so very little chipping was possible. Only worked on some spots, although it did allow me to create a fading effect...but I hadn't painstakingly done the undercoat for that!

2) I had some scifi lettering stencil and wanted to do LC on the white stripes. However, I had sputtering on the airbrush and both stripes had spots where the beautiful white paint got big blobs of paint and was ruined. I couldn't sand it, couldn't paint over it because it had texture...so I was really, really angry with myself at that point.

In the end, I resolved to apply pledge with the airbrush to see if I could create a more uniform layer. Then I applied decals. Thankfully it worked, and the unsightly spots are invisible now.

The decals worked beautifully thanks to a product my mate recommended, called Tamiya Mark Fit Strong. It is the best decal solution ever.
Hobby Workshop