Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

James #1023

Custom Custom Custom
Tried to do a zenithal highlight ish..
From black to grey to bleached white (secret weapon).
Then several layers of the super precious gw glaze waywatchers green i think it's called. I think they've discontinued them now and are worth about 20 quid a pot.
I screwed the middle guy up abit by trying to use drucchi violet on his tentacles.... don't know what went wrong... But he looks crap!! Fortunately I only need 4 of them to look ok!!
The colour is quite bright but I wanted something different to the 16 other sort of fleshy bruised poxwalkers I've got.
Hobby Workshop

pawl #1028

Custom Custom Custom
Might just be the photo but it looks like your grey layer might have been a little heavy? It's come out perfectly fine though, so no harm done! And I don't think you've ruined the tentacle, either. Maybe try a purple contrast, or just purple/pink glazes?

James #1029

Custom Custom Custom
It probably is. When you get an airbrush... you'll see that whites (and anything close) are harder to use then regular colours. The tendency to come out in spots effectively is alot higher... something to do with the pigment density or something..
Really regretting my choice of space wolves 😂
I've tried gw and vallejo and get the same result ish. I think effectively you have to be alot closer to the miniature so the paint doesn't dry before it hits the miniature.. But the risk is overcooking it. Be interested to know if @Lovecraft0110 has any words of wisdom on this?

Yeah I'll try fix it!! Just hasn't come out how I envisioned.

pawl #1031

Custom Custom Custom
The advice I've seen people given me to make sure whites are properly thinned and that you're hitting 30psi, but I imagine you've already seen that.
Worth it though! 😜

James #1037

Custom Custom Custom
Haha nope not exactly. I tend to shove abit of flow improver in and ensure a milky consistency! But it seems like a bit of a dark art sometimes..
Good news is I used the secret weapon weathered wood paint as the top highlight and it worked really well and I had less issues than I did with the vallejo stuff. Which is good news as I'm planning to use it on my contemptors 😀
Also I emailed element games to ask them to send me the other secret weapon paint I'm waiting for.. they haven't sent it as they are still waiting for stock on the colour shift paints.. But they are gna send that out now. So it means I'll be ready to really hit up the contemptors grimdark and weathered like!! Nervous but excited!

Lovecraft0110 #1040

Custom Custom
Hi guys,

I am not that good at airbrushing, but I do have a secret weapon: lacquer paints. Perfect finish every time with no clogging and no spiderwebbing.

You will need a good booth with an extractor, and a proper respirator. If you have those things, and a good thinner, like Tamiya Lacquer Thinner with retarder (yes, that's the name :joy: ), you will never want to go back to acrylics. I now have a vast collection of Vallejo Model and Game Air that I almost never use...

James #1043

Custom Custom Custom
Haha oh man are you adding new things to our already expensive lists 🤣🤣

pawl #1046

Custom Custom Custom
I've considered sending Element an email (you've already seen what I'm waiting on!) but I don't want to come across as pushy or ungrateful!

So long as you got it working that's the important bit!

And for the time being I've decided that I'm sticking to acrylics - I know how they work, I'm not going to poison myself with them, and I don't need to spend loads of money! 😂

James #1048

Custom Custom Custom
You could always see if they could combine the orders? But yeah sometimes best to not rock the boat!!

I hit then with a biel tan green shade and used water to lift if off the highlighted areas.
Which I think has worked quite well.
And I've started blocking in the other colours slowly... honestly don't know how people speed paint these.. still tonnes of detail you need to be careful with.
Quite pleased so far... may look abit crazy but the orange pants will be dulled down abit. But my aesthetic is the incredible hulk crossed with orange convict jumpsuit.
I've also managed to be pretty careful with my blocking in and resisted the temptation to use my detail brush as I really wana spare heavy use on it and managed to do most of this with citadel small layer brush! So was good practice.
Shame it doesn't look like I'll be finishing these in June now 😂

pawl #1072

Custom Custom Custom
I nearly did earlier and then got distracted before I started writing 😂

Shading helps (I think - a little difficult to tell with the lighting) and I even like the bright orange 😂 how are you going to bring the colour down?
Hobby Workshop