Welcome to The Warp Storm! πŸ‘‹
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
For any other hobby talk that doesn't quite fit in the forums below.

pawl #977

Custom Custom Custom
When I log on I tend to read and reply to all the topics with new posts, and I think James does the same!

Hey, you've gotta dream big! 😜

1. Ah. Wonderful. πŸ™ˆ fortunately I only want it for the lines on 'concrete' bases, to pull up paint for a damaged effect

2. If you've not watched the video I linked it's worth a couple of minutes I think. Getting a slightly more 'dusty' look doesn't seem too difficult with a little practice.

3. I'll not argue with a recommendation from someone who knows what they're doing! Just need to find a solid battle damage colour and I could put it to good use!

I'm about to eat, but once I have time I'll watch the video properly. =]
Will you be recording it at all?
Hobby Workshop

James #982

Custom Custom Custom
Haha furloughed life means I have plenty of time to chat about miniatures and painting! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I'll have a review of stuff and decide what bits I'm going to buy and where has all the bits in stock I need!
Last edited by pawl on 27 Jun 20, 01:08, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Language! ;P
pawl liked this

James #1005

Custom Custom Custom
Ok I've finally decided on what to get. After trying loads of different sites to see if I could get what I wanted from one site in the UK to save postage but it's not seemed to be possible. Alot is still sold out.
Going for direct from ammo by mig jiminez. Excited for it to come!
pawl liked this

Lovecraft0110 #1102

Custom Custom
Hey James,

Very cool, you won't be disappointed, I'm sure!

One tip for you guys: for 95€ and above, they do free shipping by courier. The other day I ordered a crapload of mags and books (gotta learn more!) and I got them in TWENTY FOUR HOURS from Spain to Germany.

And no, they're not giving me a commission! :grin:
pawl liked this

James #1113

Custom Custom Custom
Haha I wish I had the extra cash to splurge €95 on weathering stuff!! Trying to stop myself spending so I can afford indomitus. Are you planning to get one @Lovecraft0110 ? I know me and @pawl are probably going to get one!
pawl liked this

Lovecraft0110 #1122

Custom Custom
Weathering ΓΌber alles!

Nah, I don't want to bash 40k, but I am not in the least interested in 8th or 9th.

When I somehow find the time, what I want to do is get started with Adeptus Titanicus. Already bought the Grand Master Edition and a bunch of books, but so far it's been sitting in my attic...the channel is ironically consuming most of my hobby time. I might have to decrease the regularity of the videos just so I can actually have fun hobbying, in fact. You know what I mean?

Another game that I haven't played or painted any minis for in a long time is Bolt Action. I am really into WWII, both historically and in terms of modelling, so that's another "when I have time, I will DEFINITELY do it" kind of projects...:innocent:

pawl #1143

Custom Custom Custom
Hey, to each their own!

If only things like work and the real world didn't have to get in the way! 😜 as a bonus though one of your big distractions is still hobby related, at least.

So. Lovecraft0110. I have decided that maybe I should follow your advice and play with some enamels for marine uses. Saw the Gatebreakers thread at B&C and it was the straw that broke the camel's back - the dirty look is cool, and I want to give it a try. If nothing else it looks like it would be quicker and easier than wash/glaze-shading, and it has the benefit of blending easily.
As ever though I have questions.

This stuff is what I want for thinning, yes?
Would you recommend using a single colour (black for example) on everything, or matching to base colours (purple over purple, red over red etc)?
Are there any areas that are best painted afterwards, like helmet lenses, painted battle damage or cloth/robes? And if so can you paint straight on top or do you need to varnish again?
And lastly will using enamels or thinners damage the brushes I'm using? I obviously don't want to ruin brushes without knowing it's going to happen!

I know, I seem to have nothing but questions, I'm sorry! πŸ™ˆ

James #1152

Custom Custom Custom
Lovecraft0110 wrote: ↑04 Jul 20, 12:34 Nah, I don't want to bash 40k, but I am not in the least interested in 8th or 9th.
Which version do you play with your students?
Are you not keen on the primaris stuff? Me and @pawl both agree they are abit generic at times. But the sculpts are lovely and it's nice to see the storyline actually progressed abit with the return of Robby G! 🀣
I'm curious to see where it's going to go too. They always refer to "crossing the Rubicon primaris" which is a nod to julius caesar starting a civil war when we crossed the Rubicon... and I think hasnt something happened between primaris and custodes??? So I'm wondering if primaris will be against old space marines...in a civil war.. Especially if the lion turns up... wondering if he won't be chill with the primaris lol. And I'm wondering if fulgrim will turn up too.. which will be one hell of a model πŸ˜€
What do u guys think? Fyi the stuff above is just snippets of stuff I've seen people talking about so may be wrong about some of it. Feel free to correct me!!

Lovecraft0110 #1157

Custom Custom
pawl wrote: ↑04 Jul 20, 23:20 Hey, to each their own!

If only things like work and the real world didn't have to get in the way! 😜 as a bonus though one of your big distractions is still hobby related, at least.

So. Lovecraft0110. I have decided that maybe I should follow your advice and play with some enamels for marine uses. Saw the Gatebreakers thread at B&C and it was the straw that broke the camel's back - the dirty look is cool, and I want to give it a try. If nothing else it looks like it would be quicker and easier than wash/glaze-shading, and it has the benefit of blending easily.
As ever though I have questions.

This stuff is what I want for thinning, yes?
Would you recommend using a single colour (black for example) on everything, or matching to base colours (purple over purple, red over red etc)?
Are there any areas that are best painted afterwards, like helmet lenses, painted battle damage or cloth/robes? And if so can you paint straight on top or do you need to varnish again?
And lastly will using enamels or thinners damage the brushes I'm using? I obviously don't want to ruin brushes without knowing it's going to happen!

I know, I seem to have nothing but questions, I'm sorry! πŸ™ˆ
Don't apologize, I thoroughly enjoy chatting with you guys!

Let me see:

1. Yes. that's the right thinner. Also for oils.

2. No color matching in the sense of red wash over red and so on (also those colors don't really exist as enamel washes). You do need to decide what kind of grime/dirt/whatever to simulate, though. Ammo makes a black enamel wash, which I use all the time; there is no other brand that does plain black. For metals, I highly recommend track wash (either brand), and for both metals and my World Eaters I use the "dark wash" (again, either brand), which is actually a dark, disgusting kind of green (like the water in a pod, if you catch my drift9.

3. I normally paint all the details first, but you could things like eye lenses afterwards: just remember you can remove the wash.

4. Remember to do a gloss varnish before the enamels, and to let the stuff dry for at least two hours (overnight is best). Then do a satin or matt varnish to completely lock it in.

5. It won't ruin your brushes by itself, but remember to use the thinner to clean them (not soapy water!). This means you should only use synthetic brushes, because the thinner will damage natural hair ones.

Does that make sense?

Lovecraft0110 #1158

Custom Custom
James wrote: ↑05 Jul 20, 16:09
Lovecraft0110 wrote: ↑04 Jul 20, 12:34 Nah, I don't want to bash 40k, but I am not in the least interested in 8th or 9th.
Which version do you play with your students?
Are you not keen on the primaris stuff? Me and @pawl both agree they are abit generic at times. But the sculpts are lovely and it's nice to see the storyline actually progressed abit with the return of Robby G! 🀣
I'm curious to see where it's going to go too. They always refer to "crossing the Rubicon primaris" which is a nod to julius caesar starting a civil war when we crossed the Rubicon... and I think hasnt something happened between primaris and custodes??? So I'm wondering if primaris will be against old space marines...in a civil war.. Especially if the lion turns up... wondering if he won't be chill with the primaris lol. And I'm wondering if fulgrim will turn up too.. which will be one hell of a model πŸ˜€
What do u guys think? Fyi the stuff above is just snippets of stuff I've seen people talking about so may be wrong about some of it. Feel free to correct me!!
We play 30k! The idea that 30k is super-complex is just a myth - the 11 year olds in my club learnt the rules just fine. We play Zone Mortalis on Fridays, and big multiplayer battles once a month on a Saturday (up to 5k points sometimes). Both are always tied together in a narrative campaign; I make a new campaign with a storyline and stuff every year. This year we even had rules for character advancement I adapted from Horus Heresy Book 4.

Like I said, I don't wanna bash, but no, I don't like the rules, the retconned fluff, or the models for 8th/9th ed, sorry. I do love Blood Bowl, Adeptus Titanicus, and a host of other games, both contemporary and old.
Hobby Workshop