Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

pawl #1578

Custom Custom Custom
No plasticard to hand? Would give you a more accurate outline. You could also possibly use something to push the mud away from the foot. If you moved back and up you could create a 'wave', to show it splashing as the dread steps down.
Hobby Workshop

James #1581

Custom Custom Custom
Yes I can use some card! Should be ok!
Did some more bricks and cut up the fence thing abit which is harder than I thought. If you cut too much it falls apart.
pawl liked this

pawl #1585

Custom Custom Custom
Getting really close now mate! 😁 how much more are you planning to add before you 'base' it?

James #1587

Custom Custom Custom
I'm probably done adding stuff for the moment until the model is done. Trying to think about the best way to do it but I'm not 100% at the min. I usually have been lazy and to try and base around the mini already stuck down so not really had this issue before haha. I reckon tho.. I'll probably try to figure out where he's going to go May be use masking tape as you suggested and blue tack him gently down. Then do all the earth affect. And pull him out again. So I can then do what I need to with the base and then stick him on when he's ready.
Managed to another layer of enamels and I'm quite happy now. Will look to do final rust layer tomorow 😊

pawl #1589

Custom Custom Custom
Second layer of enamels has made a big difference, even before you rust him 👍 go and take a look at page 1, see how close you are 😉
As a thought - when you're basing him, maybe don't worry too much about a little splatter? He is, afterall, a multi-ton armoured giant thundering through mud, so he's not going to be all that clean!

James #1592

Custom Custom Custom
Haha yes. I've just had a quick scroll through. Mad what a few different techniques can achieve 😀 kinda weird too cos altho we're dead close to finishing I've not actually spent that much time painting him in a way.. not like the crawler for example... that was hours and hours. I'm excited for you to get your weathering stuff and get involved 😊
Yeah I suppose your right. If your quick you can always get any oversplatter off easily enough. Only issue would be when I start doing the water spray out of the pipe.. I may struggle to get access to it properly. I'll have a little look and see tomorrow!

pawl #1595

Custom Custom Custom
How easy have you found the whole process, as something of a novice? It seems like the whole process is actually surprisingly quick, if you discount drying times. And, strange as it seems, maybe less brush work isn't necessarily a bad thing when painting? 😂
As am I! Little by little though. Enamels have a much lower entry point, and require less in the way of a setup - the airbrush will require a little more time unfortunately.

If nothing else it would look a little odd for his armour plating to be damaged, dirty and rusting, but his feet sinking into the mud and squeaky clean 😂
Just give it a mock up, see how it fits. =]

James #1607

Custom Custom Custom
Yeah it's a weird one really... it's definitely easier I think then going heavy metal style. Alot less stressful for the most part. Saying that not sure how easy this style would translate to something not space mariney vehicley where you have loads of different colours and stuff.
Theres a lot of hold your breath moments in this technique but it's not that bad because you can undo what you've done with alot of the steps quite easily. Drying time is a pain... and there's alot of airbrush steps which can be abit of a pain because your kinda doing one step and then you'll have to break the airbrush down and clean it out again to do one more step later.. so I think if you can find a way to do multiple models at once it'll feel more worth your time in a way. Not that I'm unhappy with the results tho!!

Tbf it's only the chipping that your going to struggle with.. so enamel time is definitely inbound for you. I'd defo recommend the streaking effect stuff. They do a dark grime one too I think.

Haha Mortarions boys love a good clean sometimes too! I'll see if I have any time later!

pawl #1610

Custom Custom Custom
Anything that doesn't require edge highlighting everything must be a godsend! And I'm sure that with sub assemblies or masking it would translate well enough to other armour types?
And drying time just encourages patience, and gives you time to work elsewhere 😜

It's not the chipping that worries me, it's the startup cost! 😂

James #1612

Custom Custom Custom
Haha yeah definitely. Although I worry about losing practice but meh it's all good.
Haha patience is a virtue.

Hah thinking about it... I know it's not ideal... but aren't there like super cheap airbrush and compressor sets.. not great... but really with this style of airbrushing you don't need to be detailed. In can help a little but now all the weathering is done on my contemptor you can see any of the airbrushing lowlights or highlights anyway... just a thought.. as all the weather steps could be accomplished well without using a great airbrush really.
Hobby Workshop