Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

pawl #928

Custom Custom Custom
Quite possibly! It's just so much of a faff!
It came out better than I was expecting, but it took a lot of work. When I did the first scout the purple had two highlights, and I found that after the second I had to clean up with the first highlight colour, then again with the base colour. Comparatively easy for larger areas but a nightmare in smaller ones! Plus both my paint and brushstrokes were thicker than I would have liked.
Either way, I think my biggest problem is that it just doesn't look realistic, and I'm certainly not going to start blending entire armour sections! Real light is there, so I'll use that instead! 😂

Just need my next post of paints to come into stock - the grey for the shoulder pads/weapons is still too light, so I'm hoping that the next shade will do it.

Then I just have to figure out how to get the battle damage looking good. Nothing I have tried so far works, mainly due to the colours not showing up. Sent Duncan Rhodes an email last night to see if he has any suggestions, because I'm running out of ideas!
Hobby Workshop

James #930

Custom Custom Custom
When you make the jump to airbrush you'll be able to get your transition and realistic highlights dead easy.

I found this tutorial for space wolves airbrushing but he goes into to battle damage after.. and it looks awesome... not sure if you'd wana try something like that. Just replace the grey for appropriate purple highlight!

pawl #938

Custom Custom Custom
To be honest I think I'd try and stick to relatively flat colours, at least for the majority. Cleaning up mistakes would be a nightmare on blended highlights!

That's really impressive work!
It's whether it would work on a darker background, and without the edge highlighting. I have tried something similar, although my brush work is nowhere near as clean as his! I've finished painting for tonight though, so perhaps another test tomorrow if I unpack my stuff. 👌
James liked this

pawl #944

Custom Custom Custom
Sorry for double post, but as I was packing away I took a quick photo of what I've been playing with this evening...

James #948

Custom Custom Custom
I think we can forgive you on your own forum 🤣

Ah man those scouts are awesome. Especially das shotgun scout. Prince among scouts. Looking good. Are you on target to finish one mini this month?

pawl #953

Custom Custom Custom
Unfortunately there was a couple that didn't make it. One had a badly damaged foot (although I may one day try and repair him), one was a bad cast (recesses were full of bubbles rather than details) and some have more damage than I'm likely to ever be able to repair (knew about them when I bought them).
When I include the 'standard' set I have in storage I'll have nearly a full collection 😁

I'm counting the last scout (who now needs an update) for that. Towards the end of July I'll make a proper thread for August. 👍
Hobby Workshop