Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

pawl #763

Custom Custom Custom
He'll do 😂
Cheers though! Just a shame they take so long! Doesn't help that these older metals aren't quite so sharp as the newer sculpts.

The face/skin was easier than I expected! Never been good at flesh tones but the Contrast paints are really rather impressive. Wraithbone, Guilliman Flesh, minor highlights with Kislev Flesh.

Leaving him like this tonight.

Still to do - clean up and do second highlight on purple, boots in general, some other little tidying work the photos have shown up, maybe weathering/damage.
Then I'll call him done. Any imperfections won't show at a glance, I'm hoping!
Hobby Workshop

pawl #830

Custom Custom Custom
99.9% finished!
Have a new shade on the way for the gun casing, but otherwise I'm calling him done. Might add battle damage, not sure.

As ever excuse phone photos!

James #832

Custom Custom Custom
Excellent!! Love the base too!! What shade have you ordered?

pawl #834

Custom Custom Custom
VMC 862 Black Grey. It is (hopefully) just a little darker than the one I'm using currently.

Playing with battle damage shades now (not on this model!) and annoyingly nothing is showing up how I want it to. 😒 the colour I thought would work doesn't show up well enough. Might have to resort to black!

Also I've noticed that the highlights are rather washed out in the photo. Oh well!

James #835

Custom Custom Custom
Nice! I saw a guy doing battle damage on space wolves quite simply and the effect looked amazing.

You can still see the highlights just look quite subtle which isn't a bad thing!!

pawl #839

Custom Custom Custom
I'm not sure if it's the lighting (room isn't that bright, so relying on LEDs which might be too bright) but the dark browns I was trying just got lost in the purple. I'll have another look tomorrow in more natural lighting.

They're a little less stark than the Hellblaster from before, although his photo made them look really bright. Two separate highlights too, which definitely helps. The shading on the Aquila doesn't show very well either, which is a shame because I was pleased with it 😂

James #841

Custom Custom Custom
It's pretty frustrating when something looks good in person but pics just don't seem to do it justice... altho swings and roundabouts... sometimes you paint something that's not that great but turns up amazing on camera haha

The aquila looks good too! Light is definitely taking the detail away tho!

pawl #842

Custom Custom Custom
It's only because I'm taking shaky photos with a phone in had lighting, but it gives you an idea at least 😂

I picked up a few shades of blue for painting Apothecary power armour, thought I would try using that instead of grey. Glazing Fenrisian Grey wasn't quite having the effect I wanted, so I actually ended up going in and individually shading the feathers themselves. Somehow I seem to have gotten away with it!

No photos yet but work has started on the next two as well, so I'll be bouncing between them for a while now. 👌

pawl #921

Custom Custom Custom
As usual please excuse the awful photos - it's about midnight and my phone doesn't seem to like my painting light!

Been playing again tonight. Current thoughts are leaning towards a scheme that doesn't use highlights. At all!
Not the biggest fan of the edge-highlighted look, and I absolutely hate trying to paint it! So instead I've gone for a wash-consistency first shade, followed by straight Nuln Oil. Probably more noticable on the power armour - previous marine for comparison.

Also been slowly blocking in the scouts. Decided that keeping all the leather one colour makes more sense, so boots too. Previous scout is going to need some touch-ups, which is annoying!

James #924

Custom Custom Custom
Have i lost an edge highlighting brother to the world of weathering 🤣
Your edge highlighting on the marine on the bottom are absolutely spot on. Not giving yourself enough credit! I do admit it's painful slow and hard work tho.
They are looking good tho!! The marine especially. Good depth on the wash!
Hobby Workshop