Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

pawl #1965

Custom Custom Custom
It works, I promise 😂 When you varnish something you're obviously adding another layer to it. The properties of that layer determine how shiny it is.

Gloss varnish produces a very smooth coat, which will reflect light almost like a mirror. This is what gives the shiny look. Matte varnish, by comparison, has an almost rough texture. When the light hits it it disperses and gets sent in all directions, which is why you don't get a shine. (there is also satin varnishes, which sit somewhere between the two)

If you gloss and then matte, or matte and then gloss, the top layer will always be the one that determines how your model looks.

It's a slightly simplistic explanation, but it's close enough to be true!
Hobby Workshop

James #1972

Custom Custom Custom
Ok this makes sense to me. Next time then ill be less afraid to use gloss.

Made some good progress today.. not too far from being finished on the actual model.
So first completed the skin. Quite happy overall. A couple of scrappy bits where ive had to correct airbrush bits and the blending hasnt worked 100%.
Then I've done the eye ball.

Then it was enamel time.
Then blended after an hour so.
Also very pleased as i applied track wash to the shift paint and im quite pleased with the effect.
Not sure if you can see from the photo too well.
Im fairly happy with how its looking. I think it will need another round with the enamel though.
And then streaking rust effect on the green too... then done more or less. Need to start thinking about the base.

Edit:
Just found some mega inspiration for the base 😂

pawl #1978

Custom Custom Custom
If you have any brush-on gloss varnish then make sure that eye state nice and shiny =D I wonder if there's anything you could use to make it look like it's weeping?

Another round with the enamels before you streak will help I think but it definitely looks better for the first one! It's come out nicely on the shifter paint too, although I assume that will be getting streaked as well?

And I hate maggots, those bases are horrifying! 😂

James #1981

Custom Custom Custom
Well actually i do!! @Lovecraft0110 showed me UHU glue. And some arrived this week..
This is what you can do

Im actually thinking more for the pincers and the mower blade... i was originally thinking bloody but now im thinking itll look effective just stringy.. without any colour....
What do you think?

2nd enamel layer on. Will do streaks this evening. I dont think the steaks will show up on the shifter so i wont bother just do it for the green armour.
Much happier after 2nd layer. 2 seems to be the sweet spot with this stuff as i used 2 for the contemptor too.

James #1988

Custom Custom Custom
Have progressed further!
Streaks done. Decided to keep them subtle.
Ive also done vallejo brown earth on the base and hit it with dryad bark and then army painter strong tone wash and then drybrushed up to mournfang brown.
Ready for these little wormy maggots to go on.
Honestly using the tentacle roller but super relaxing... think everyone should do it.
They will be dry tomorrow so plan will be to paint them up in a dirty white washed with agrax and then drybrush up to a dirty white again.
Once there on i can look at getting the uv resin on and then the uhu glue effect
Also got a vid of how the shifters look under the track wash as i really think its quite effective even as grimdark style now.

pawl #1993

Custom Custom Custom
The glue would be a bit stringy for what I was thinking, but as a blood effect that is actually quite cool! For the eye I was thinking something that would just look more like an infection, but I don't know how you could achieve it really.

Second pass and streaking has come out beautifully I think! Enough that you can see it's there but without being distracting. Top marks!

Will the maggot things be on the machine itself, or just the base?

James #1995

Custom Custom Custom
It could probably be done with vallejo transparent water. If you look at the contemptor base water.. you could build it up slowly.. got any real life examples of what your thinking?

Thank you! Guys on discord think it needs more streaks what do you think?

Just on the base really.. maybe interacting abit with the cables hanging down. But im going to connect the maggots to the mower with the uhu stuff i think

pawl #1996

Custom Custom Custom
So this was some pleasant googling :mask: I was thinking something like this, maybe.
https://www.laboratoires-thea.com/media ... terial.png
https://media.sciencephoto.com/m1/55/05 ... 0px-wm.jpg
https://owqo93fpiuc4633lp1zthz57-wpengi ... 149578.jpg

I think that it definitely could be taken further, but it's maybe a matter of taste. Thanks to a layer of varnish you obviously have the option of removing it if you're not happy with it, too. I am starting to notice that the bronze looks comparatively quite clean though... 😜

Blood (dried?), flesh and maggots on the mower would make for a gruesome look!

James #1998

Custom Custom Custom
Haha wow that is grim. Hmm not sure how i could manage it tho without eyelids....

Ive done one more sparing layer of streaks. I think it looks good and still subtle.
I think thats plenty.

Hmm i could hit the bronze with more enamels if you think?

The maggots are now ready to be stuck to the base once dry.
Also done the earth and drybrush now. Did a final drybrush with steel drab legion just lighten it slightly..
Tomorrow i will be affixing them to the base.. trying to find ways to make them look abit dynamic. The plan will be to use the uv resin to do a fully underwater base even if just by a hald a centimetre.. so i can get some of the maggots writhing out of the water abit. Ooh and I've also got some plant reeds which I may be able to set into the resin.
Once the resin is done ill be able to do the uhu effect.. ive decided to do it clear for now i can always add blood for the blood god to it after i think.

One thing.. not sure on best way to do seal the base edge when doing the uv.. i was thinking about using the blue stuff to form a lip around the edge and then i can remove later.. what do you reckon

pawl #1999

Custom Custom Custom
Perhaps just the bottom, and dripping onto the armour?

Works for me! 👌 again, it might just be the photos but the bronze looks a little flat. If not enamels then maybe just another wash?

Love the idea for the base! Will it be just water, or discoloured where the drone is passing over? If you end up doing blood then spots in the water would be a nice touch. Speaking of blood - what would the uhu represent if it wasn't coloured?

For forming a seal I'm honestly not sure. The blue stuff would work in theory, but it would leave you a very uneven edge (although that might actually work in your favor!). You wouldn't really know if it was airtight until you started pouring though. Without doing some searching I'm not sure what to suggest.
Hobby Workshop