Welcome to The Warp Storm! 👋
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
Paint jobs, conversions, terrain pieces... whatever you're working on!

Lovecraft0110 #1312

Custom Custom
Acrylic on top of lacquers should be fine! Don't despair!
James liked this
Hobby Workshop

pawl #1318

Custom Custom Custom
Just a quick one. =]

James wrote: @Lovecraft0110 I've managed to clean it up okish now.. would IPA help at all? Or do as little as airbrush cleaner? Can't afford to get much else this month. I have ipa and airbrush cleaner currently.
Lovecraft0110 wrote: 3. Because they are lacquers, products like your regular airbrush cleaner, thinner, and flow improver (e.g. Vallejo) will NOT work properly or at all with them. In fact, 99% IPA (which I use all the time) is not strong enough. What you need instead is AK Interactive Xtreme Cleaner. This will work great both for thinning, and for cleaning. An alternative is Tamiya Lacquer thinner, which I use a lot now, but it's even more expensive.

James #1320

Custom Custom Custom
Ta! The shop owner in Barnsley seemed to think IPA would actually strip metal lacquer models... so I wasn't sure 🤔

Lovecraft0110 #1324

Custom Custom
Strip it? I doubt it. In any case, yes, IPA for cleaning WILL work, but it's going to require quite a bit of effort. With the AK Xtreme Cleaner, it's pretty much effortless, and even dried up gunk will be removed.

James #1340

Custom Custom Custom
Thankfully airbrush was ok just needed abit of regular cleaning!
Managed to get the orange rust paint by secret weapon on and do a slight highlight.
Very nice paint to work with.
It's been varnished twice with Vallejo matt varnish. Ready for tomorrow afternoon.... scary chipping time 😂

pawl #1342

Custom Custom Custom
Well that's good news! There's a dude over at B&C who's not long got a new airbrush and already needs replacement parts! 🙊

How brave are you feeling right now? 😜

James #1345

Custom Custom Custom
I think it's quite common. Hence why I didn't want to get anything more expensive as my first airbrush as I just thought I'd insta break it. I am on my 2nd needle tho 😂 first needle I think is ever so slightly bent. I've seen vids on straightening them but I thought for a tenner... I'd rather just get a new one.

Brave.... hmmm not sure. I'm just scared about timings... it'll be a case of applying the chipping fluid... allowing to dry.. then hit it with the weathered wood secret weapon paint try do a super quick highlight... leave it like 40 mins and then start chipping 😟😟 wish me luck! Hoping to do it tomorrow afternoon

pawl #1350

Custom Custom Custom
If it's only for the sake of a tenner it's almost worth keeping a spare one on hand just in case then!

You'll be fine, don't worry! You already know what to do, and absolute worst case scenario is that you have to take it off and do it again!
(I wish i had known years ago you could strip paint - the amount of models that would have been saved is unreal!)

James #1351

Custom Custom Custom
I was relieved when it was only a tenner. Gets to about 30 quid ish when you need to replace nozzle and needle I think. One of the reasons I went for h&s ultra over iwata neo is I heard the spare parts in h&s are much cheaper. Also the build quality may be better. But I'm already itching to upgrade 🤣🤣

Haha well again I have you to thank for showing me how to do that!! Altho I don't think I'll ever strip a miniature ive painted unless I properly screw it up.. nice to see profession even if a few mistakes. Altho saying that did you see the poxwalkers on my showcase post? They have effectively 3 primer layers so the details have gone bye bye.. stripping would have helped those haha

pawl #1353

Custom Custom Custom
Even still it's affordable - a minor mistake isn't going to cost you a ton plus!
(evo AL+ 😜)

I kind of forced myself into it, but it's turned out to be an absolute game changer for me. Turns out that giving it a go can pay off! I'm in complete accordance though - I would only strip my own work if I really had to. Like maybe if there was no detail left 😂 always something more important to paint first though 😁
Hobby Workshop