Welcome to The Warp Storm! πŸ‘‹
While you're welcome to look around we recommend you login or register to get the full benefits of the site, allowing you to talk to our members and show off your work! =]
For any other hobby talk that doesn't quite fit in the forums below.

pawl #1867

Custom Custom Custom
Smaller again, I think. The smallest I have currently will drill the side of a Bolter barrel perfectly but would be too big to drill some of the Grot Blastas without damaging them.
I'll do some shopping at some point, will be able to find something. πŸ‘Œ
James liked this
Hobby Workshop

pawl #1899

Custom Custom Custom
TITHI I have been playing with Oyumaru moulding. Only small scale while I try it out, but casting to come in Wednesday when my Milliput arrives πŸ‘Œ

James #1905

Custom Custom Custom
Excited to see how this turns out. Could be a gamechanger!

pawl #1909

Custom Custom Custom
It arrived early today, so I'll possibly let you know later 😁

pawl #1914

Custom Custom Custom
Two sets of casts curing!
The first was a learning experience, the second will hopefully come out a little better. Below is the second lot after stamping the moulds together.

Lots of flash, so I clearly need to reduce the amount I'm putting my there. Still, progress! The LEGO helped rather a lot, too.

Expect a full write up as and when I know enough to give you one!

(oh, and I managed to drop the arm taking it out of the mould and lost it πŸ™ˆπŸ˜‚)

Edit:
As ecpected the first casts weren't great. The body wasn't particularly well formed, and the flash was thick enough to obscure details. The arm was better, but misaligned.
I'm hoping that both of these will come through better in the second casts - they're much better aligned thanks to the LEGO/peg combination, and the extra pressure I've been able to (evenly) apply will hopefully help to thin out the flash. For the next test tomorrow (if the LEGO batch aren't usable) I'll be reducing the amount of resin applied in the hope that less will be pushed into the mould.

Here you can see the poor quality on the right, and you can just about make out how the top half of the arm has slid to the right.

James #1916

Custom Custom Custom
Is flash the stuff that seeps out?

Tell you what tho the body there looks pretty good. If this was going to be used for scenery or something that would be fine. For a first go (minus lost arm) its pretty damn good!!!

pawl #1920

Custom Custom Custom
It's quite pitted, but that's easy to avoid. I think (or at least I'm hoping) that by changing the way I make the moulds I'll have better filling of details and thinner flash (yeah, that's the extra bits from the casting process, used to be common on metal models) due to being able to put more pressure into the mould. The flash on the first batch was thick enough that trimming it wouldn't have made much difference as it obscured details.
Assuming that it second batch aren't perfect (and they won't be!) I'll be trying again tomorrow, obviously!

As a first attempt though I'm really happy, even though neither piece is usable. I've already managed to learn how to better use the materials, and I can already see the potential for it too. Next step is to buy a shed load more Oyumaru, as you can use it quite quickly!

Oh, and casting pieces for corpses is apparently quite a common use - I've already been thinking about how I could use it for exactly that without having to waste plastic!

James #1936

Custom Custom Custom
I think i could definitely do something similar to this to make a corpse under my next contemptor or something! Does blue stuff work the same do you know?

Today ive just put a bid on a ww2 tank... if i win the plan would be to try and convert it to a defiler!! Its a russian kv2 with monster turret and cannon.. so i feel like i can do something with it.
Also got my sonic cleaner.. will do a proper review on the board at some point. Not blown away though yet but only used water so far no actual cleaner.

pawl #1939

Custom Custom Custom
It's something I want to be able to do with it in time, yeah. Blue stuff is just the same material with a different name. =]

That definitely looks beefy enough to put it on legs! Any idea how? I know some people used to use dreadnought arms to achieve a similar effect.

Cool stuff! πŸ‘Œ

James #1943

Custom Custom Custom
Good stuff!!

Currently no idea how but i let myself get outbidded as ive been bad and gone for this that popped up on fb. Uh oh.... mrs wasn't happy hah
But I think gw these rock in at around 90 to 95 quid.... so.... i mean it would have been an injustice to not get it.

Thinking back to the defiler idea.. maybe find the human sized mechnical looking legs and then have loads of them coming out the side of tracks like a millipede
Hobby Workshop